Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted this at Xs...if you have issues with the board acting weird after you have been overclocking you need to read this.

Guys

When pushing your board you may just push it a little to far, the issue then is the board does not seem to overclock nice..infact you usually end up thinking you broke it or it just went bad.....issue is cmos has been corrupted, the cmos you can not see.

The fix is to clear this cmos from DOS

with this tool, load up pure dos, then run the exe here, it clears the cmos completely and allows the board to perform as it should.

I will be adding this info to my guide on BE also, the issue seems to be the the ULI south bridge and does hold the board back if pushed hard. Also for high clocks do NOT run raid, the best is to run an IDE drive, second best is a SATA drive but you will lose upto 10fsb if you run raid unless you are off the SI controller.

It seems that when the bios screws up due to high oc's a64tweaker will show a jumble of mess for timings. I've tried redownloading a64tweaker and it shows the same thing. It's not when I use F_Tester and reflash the bios does a64 shows the right timings in the bios.

A big thanks for posting F_Tester, OCZTony.

Guest eva2000
i'm not using dividers

how did you get your ULI RAID controller to see 4 disks together in a single RAID-0 array?

mine only allows me to use 2 drives in 2 arrays (I cannot use 3 and 4 drives in a single array like I can with the NF4 boards)

with 4x blank disks (no allocated partitions on them) load Ctrl+A and when you select stripe option on far right of screen there's an option for raid 0 x 4 disks

as to drive data strength yes that is a known issue http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=2629 - that when ULI raid is used drive data strength is overrided and set to AUTO - DFI are working on fixing it

Now some folks won't have problems depending on the ram they use... for me BH-5 AUTO sets it to level 1 in windows according to A64Info as you can see below

superpi-32m_tnn.jpg

If you ram doesn't like what Drive data strength on AUTO gives the ram, then yes you have issues for now. You can the individual dimm bank skew changes to see if it helps or different dimm slots to see ram likes the AUTO set level better

well now it seems that no matter what drivers I load at F6 for the SI3114...setup cannot see the array/drives....

$^@#$#@$

heh

edit: and the original F6 driver disk...has an error in txtsetup file sheesh

Ya not using unattended slipstreamed windows cd are you ? as F6 won't work in unattended slipstream mode.. you need to slipstream integrate the Sil drives onto a fresh disk to detect Silicon Image raid on windows install.

with 4x blank disks (no allocated partitions on them) load Ctrl+A and when you select stripe option on far right of screen there's an option for raid 0 x 4 disks

must be in your BIOS because I looked through multiple times on the 4/17 and could only put 2 disks per array on the ULI controller. I looked multiple times. I hung out for about 15 minutes on it trying to figure it out, searching the forums etc for it, and finally decided that the 4/17 bios just wasn't going to allow it. Maybe I missed it, but if I missed it...then everything I write below maybe isn't true (about me being experienced and knowledgeable).

Once it was setup this way, I didn't bother to look again but I will now that I have flashed to 5/19 (but at the moment, I am using the SI3114 controller to see if that makes my problems go away...but...)

Ya not using unattended slipstreamed windows cd are you ? as F6 won't work in unattended slipstream mode.. you need to slipstream integrate the Sil drives onto a fresh disk to detect Silicon Image raid on windows install.

lol

*sigh*

why all the questions like I'm a noob from you guys....like I've never taught YOU how to set up boards properly ;)

I do know how to put these things together you know...and if I'm having problems, that's a pretty good sign that these boards/bioses are simply not mature, and the technology behind them is more than likely not mature either.

This isn't to say that I know everything and can't take info from you guys and learn something...but you know...I'm not retarded, and I've loaded windows more than any of you could care to have nightmares about, in more configurations than you would ever possibly dream of.

The problem with this board is NOT the user.

When the tech guy who communicates directly with the guys who make the board can't catch a break...that's a sign the tech guy is a moron, or the board is pretty substandard in it's current condition.

Did no one bother to test any of these things before putting the board up for sale? That's my big question.

I mean, sure we've had just about every Lanparty board ever made have serious issues when released (and honestly they all happen to be Oskar Wu made boards...the Infinity and Vanilla boards are generally only showing problems that the reference design boards show).

But after so many times of going through this same thing...you'd think we could avoid most of the major headache here...but we don't.

The thing is, in a month or two...I'll be promoting this board as the best board I've every laid my hands on because I'm sure that Tony will finally convince Oskar to fix things properly, and then Tony will modify that fixed bios to allow the majority of us to enjoy this best board ever.

I know EXACTLY what kind of frustration a lot of you are having...you go buy this board, the best cpu you can afford, a couple X1900 Crossfire cards at $400-$500 each, some nice hdd's, expensive cases and watercooling, etc...and you put it all together just like you did the NF4 or NF3 or NF2 or Intel board you had before this, and though you had a few problems probably each time...it seems that this is just....beyond the norm.

I myself have a couple of $500 X1900XT Crossfire cards and a fantastic 4400+ and all the kick-butt OCZ RAM 2GB kits you could want, and plenty of SATA II hdd's that are blazing fast on my NF4...but I can't seem to stitch together a decent working rig on this board.

I can even drop this into the RDX200 and it's smooth...much smoother than this setup that I've been fighting THREE days now, and tried 3 different bioses now.

So yes I am frustrated, and yes I know exactly how a lot of you are feeling right now (wishing you'd stuck to your NF4 original because the Expert was nothing but a heartbreak and the Venus you couldn't afford nor get one of).

I honestly wish Crossfire worked on my NF4 boards because I'd go back to my original NF4 SLI-DR in a heartbeat.

I also have an Intel Pentium D 930 dual-core cpu that runs on a competitor's 975X board and I have to say...as much as I feel like Intel's current cpu's are inferior, I had the board up and running at 250x15 w/SATA II RAID, X1900XT Crossfire, 1000Mhz DDR2 @ 1:1, etc within the first day. Problem is we

A. don't make a 975x board

B. don't have any Conroe cpu's and the current Intel cpu's are nice once you clock the crap out of them, but they still aren't as good as my AMD64 cpu's

But beyond all of this, I have to return to my original point which is my big rant for the day

I have to keep plugging away at this since I have to support it, because you all bought one and feel like you deserve someone that knows how to make it work to help you.

A couple of you have got it setup like you expected. From reading this thread, most of you are in the same boat I am in, our issues might be different or the same, but the problems remain, and all of you that have tried help are appreciated, but there isn't really anything you can do to help me or the rest of the users having problems because it isn't the user that is the problem.

When the magical bios fix comes out, and I hit the right setup, I'll be back eating my words telling you just how great all this is when it works together.

But for now...it just isn't working, and it dang sure needs to be working because I'm one of maybe 5 people that get all this hardware for free....the rest of you are spending your hard-earned (or parent's hard-earned) money.

HI thanks AG for testing it out.

Hopefully DFI should be abe to fix the issues soon.

Btw in your system event log, do you get any of the pauses every 2 hours when running raid?

Regards

Raja

HI thanks AG for testing it out.

Hopefully DFI should be abe to fix the issues soon.

Btw in your system event log, do you get any of the pauses every 2 hours when running raid?

Regards

Raja

on the ULI i never did experience this lag/freeze every hour or two like you guys describe

HOWEVER

I have never yet had the change to really sit down steady on the rig for hours at a time like i do my workstation/main rig. I am making it to be my main rig so I CAN have all that time on it...but I did check the events a couple times after reading everyone's replies about this issue, and still never witnessed anything.

Most errors are having to do with ATI CCC stuff or other non-hdd/controller issues. Not too many errors though...maybe a couple per day (standard stuff...if you look through a machine that has been working properly for a month with no issues at all, you'll still see an error here and there as a program or the OS calls for something that isn't there the first time, or a service hangs or doesn't start up right away etc)

So uh, do I get my money back? :shake:

I'm puzzled...even the floppy? :tooth:

lol

I myself am wondering if I am just having a bad day or three....because it is rare for me to get so angry at a new board this often this quickly lol

so I'll keep banging away at it and we'll see what happens.

I do recall the NF4 when it first came out...and it was...let's just say MUCH LESS than stellar.

It was a smoking overclocker right out of the box, but that's if you didn't smash it to death with a hammer because it hardly did anything you wanted it to (and it did a lot of things you DIDN'T want it to).

Then Oskar put out a 3/16 bios 2 months after the board came out....and it turned the board around in a hurry

then 5/10 2 months later and that eliminated probably 80% of the problems that were left.

Then Tony brought us the 7/04 bioses and those are the ones I still use....but 5/10 was where the board caught fire and everyone began to find the POWA lol....Tony's 7/04 just enhanced it even more and finally wrapped up all the loose ends and BLAMMO you got this incredible freaking board that just flies with BH-5, CH-5, TCCD, UCCC, Infineon, Micron 5B-F, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB kits, even 4GB kits if you had the cash for such extravs...

and the whole time...everyone (including me and Rgone) were screaming about all the little and big problems with the board

and so I sometimes cringe at my own anger towards these new boards...especially knowing what they were built for (and lets always get one thing straight...they were build PURELY for overclocking. Or else they would not have a LanParty name painted on them).

Sometimes it is pure frustration because I want them to be the best boards.

This time it is because I have all the best hardware like a lot of you just bought...X1900 crossfires, 2GB of the best RAM, dual core or dual core opties, etc etc...and I'm just not getting anywhere with this...not even using ALL of my prior experience and knowledge....which makes it even more frustrating, because that has ALWAYS helped me before.

hey...maybe I am just retarded right? I wouldn't put that past me at all. I do tend to get dumber with age.

But more likely...I'm just angry that it ain't working right at this moment but in a month or two a bios will fix this into me being the biggest promoter of the board and putting in more OC Database entries than the rest of you (and getting Thunda a board and he and I going on an "OC Fight" like we did with the NF4 boards).

I'm human after all...I do have emotions. I'm sure DFI sometimes would rather me not display those emotions...but...everyone here expects me to give my honest opinion even if it means I piss off some people...becuase when I come back and crow about how awesome a board really is...people truly believe me instead of thinking "oh he's just saying that".

If I trash a board or a product...it is done rightfully so because of my personal experience and opinion.

Everyone expects me to be honest about it.

If I love a board...99 out of 100 people that listen to me and try it come back and say "hey he really trashed this board at first but he is right...they fixed the stuff up and now it is the best board I've ever owned!" *cough*NF3 250Gb*cough*

sometimes my passion for all of this stuff gets a little crazy...but in the end, it is worth it for me especially when I finally get satisfaction and can share it with you guys, in turn giving YOU satisfaction on stuff you actually spent hard earned dollars on!

An honest reply Angry.

I think there are two aspects about this board that hit home hard and make us less forgiving that we would otherwise be.

Firstly, the price. NF4 boards sell for £150 top wack, this board sold and still sells for £175 in the UK... Now thats fine if it offers soemthing new or special. On its specification and DFI's reputation it is worth the extra, but in reallity too many things dont work.

Secondly, We are entering a period of massive change and competition in the enthusiast market. AMD2 is just hitting the shelves and Conroe is due next month. This means that the CFX3200-DR has / had a very small window where it was to be used by some of us hardcore PC nuts. That time is already reaching its end... I for one am already planning my next setup. Even at the END of its useful life for a hardcore overclocker, its still not working properly.

I now DFI dont have the resorces of ASUS and possibly ABIT, but I still say, and have done since the begining of this thread, that they have to supply a working board. I wonder where we stand on RMA because you still cant run the board as it describes... the ULI and SIL controllers DO NOT work together.

Between us, we have put a huge amount of time and effort into this board and its still a long way from being right.

This is my first DFI board and while I do like the appearance and all the options, I am less than pleased with the board. It's just unacceptable to release a board where you can't use the sata controllers like they were designed to be used and I sure don't think that I should have to wait a couple months for them to straighten it out.

My patience is already wearing thin and yesterday I imaged my OS to a non-raid hdd. I have two hdds that I can't even use right now! I feel like I payed a premium for what turns out to be a unfinished product and now I'm a unpaid tester.

I planned on skipping over AM2 and conroe so I bought what looked like the best Socket 939 board to come out. Maybe it will all work out, I hope so. :)

I jsut find it odd that your floppy had the same problem as mine did, angry. That's bad news...it's like this board was MEANT to be a struggle.

I turn my psu off every night, or my machine turns itself on at varying intervals after shutdown. As i had this issue with the RDX, i blame on one peice of my hardware...not sure which one tho.

As soon as i had bios setting issues i knew this board was not quite ready, bios wise. After a couple of weeks with this board, I've learned to push the delete key upon boot and check to make sure my settings are still there.

I've tried every setting there is in this bios. I broke my 3Dmark goal with this hardware, so I'm happy...kinda...

I buy new videocards whenever they come out, and if i need a board to support them, i buy that to. Some people have fancy cars...I have a fancy computer.

I've been doing this for the last 3 and a half years, or there abouts, so i've had the opportunity to go through this more than once with a mobo...but it's only DFI mobo's that I've ever had any issues like this with.

I remain confident that a bios will resolve all these issues...but with the numerous revisions of the NF4 boards that came out to solve issues...I hate to think that it's my dollars that go to the development of a board already released.