Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

Hello

My 2 raptors are in good health but the system will still lockup for briefly 1-2 seconds and then resume ok and event viewer is reporting both paging error and time out on the uli raid device

"An error was detected on device DeviceHarddisk0D during a paging operation.

"

"The device, DeviceScsim52881, did not respond within the timeout period."

I wonder if the uli raid has a compatibility issue with western digital hard drives?

Is anyone else having issues with the uli raid?

Edit: Maybe i should start fresh raid and change the stripe size from 16 to 64-128k?

We are suspicious of your hard drive type. Please check it first. Usually hard drive is designed to work specifically in either a desktop computer environment or on RAID controller. If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the normal error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive uses. Please click following link for detail. http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...li=&p_topview=1

We are suspicious of your hard drive type. Please check hard drive type first. Usually hard drive is designed to work specifically in either a desktop computer environment or on RAID controller. If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the normal error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive uses. Please click following link for detail.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph..._li=&p_topview=[/font]

That is not then same issue and of course isn't the solution to solve.

We are suspicious of your hard drive type. Please check hard drive type first. Usually hard drive is designed to work specifically in either a desktop computer environment or on RAID controller. If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the normal error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive uses. Please click following link for detail.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph..._li=&p_topview=[/font]

The Western Digital Raptors are enterprise drives and therefore they should work fine i a Raid 0 Uli in this case..

I never had the same problem with my old system that was an Asus SK8V mb.. so the problem must be solved somehow.

-Toby

Ok some results of further testing...

I have changed my system round to do some testing and have the following feedback...

1. First setup: 2x150GB raptors, raid 0 on Uli and running OS. additionally 2 x Hitachi 250GB drives, raid 0 on Uli as file store.

This setup causes the dreded error every couple of hours

2. I changed the setup and put the OS on the Hitachi drives and disconected the raptors.

tested for 5 hours and did not suffer the issue

3. OS on the Hitachi Drives, raid 0 on ULI and raptors as file store in raid on Uli.

Tested for 3 hours without issue... not touching data on the raptors.

Then ran HDTach (full test on the Raptors) and after 20 mins got the error.

Then left the system running music on the Hitachi's (not touching data on the Raptors) for a further 2 hours and suffered no error.

Conclusion (so far).

The raptors are not working properly on the DFI Board (they do work without fault on Asus R580) The CFX3200 is reading the settings of the raptors differently, or they are not handling the ULI controller well.

By running the OS on the raptors they are being accessed all the time. The issue only seems to occur when they are in use. This issue seems to be affecting various drives, not just raptors (if you read this thread), but all raptors seem to be affected.

Conclusion (so far).

The raptors are not working properly on the DFI Board (they do work without fault on Asus R580) The CFX3200 is reading the settings of the raptors differently, or they are not handling the ULI controller well.

By running the OS on the raptors they are being accessed all the time. The issue only seems to occur when they are in use. This issue seems to be affecting various drives, not just raptors (if you read this thread), but all raptors seem to be affected.

That's not correct. Has i said before on this thread, i have my 2x WD Raptor 74Gb - Raid0 running hours, after hours without any issue.

I had that issue but not now, for me was just a change of a PSU. For some reason, i believe that the power circuit (3.3v or 12v) that feeds the hard drives or the ULI controler isn't friendly with some PSU.

My advice is, if anyone have problems with OC the system, stability or hard drives issues, please try another and a different PSU.

That's not correct. Has i said before on this thread, i have my 2x WD Raptor 74Gb - Raid0 running hours, after hours without any issue.

I had that issue but not now, for me was just a change of a PSU. For some reason, i believe that the power circuit (3.3v or 12v) that feeds the hard drives or the ULI controler isn't friendly with some PSU.

My advice is, if anyone have problems with OC the system, stability or hard drives issues, please try another and a different PSU.

I note your results. It is strange as my setup works perfectly without the raptors. and works with the Asus R580 board (same ULI etc). I'm not convinced about power supply... not wishing to knock ur results, but there are so many people out there with this issue and most have different flavors of PSU, some even using 900W.

I wonder if anything else with your setup changed when you swapped PSU? Can you think of anything?

Which SATA slots are your raptors in?

Have you connected the floppy power cable to the mobo as well as the ATX?

Can you confirm that the OS is running on the Raptors and not ur SATAII drive?

This is such a complex issue any feedback would be great

I note your results. It is strange as my setup works perfectly without the raptors. and works with the Asus R580 board (same ULI etc). I'm not convinced about power supply... not wishing to knock ur results, but there are so many people out there with this issue and most have different flavors of PSU, some even using 900W.

I know but my PSU was a Enermax Liberty 620W, one of the great PSU in the market. Should i doubted of the capacity of my PSU?!

I had read some posts on the net regarding some PSU not been friendly with this board, i also was not so convinced.

This past weekend i had a chance having a another PSU in my hands, LCpower 550W and i decided to try it in place of my Enermax.

As soon as i power on the system i realized that some thing was different, the boot was fast and smooth.

With my Enermax pluged in, i couldn't OC my system to 250x10 1:1 or 260x10 1:1, ram wouldn't go above 240mhz stable, i had boot issues as anyone here, i had raid0 issues reported in Event Viewer, i had some freezes of 2,3 seconds most of them when i was browsing... Once i have changed the PSU and pluged in the LCpower 550W, all issues were gone... I mean, since this past weekend i have no issues or performance/stability problems with my system, it really ROCKS!!!

I wonder if anything else with your setup changed when you swapped PSU? Can you think of anything?

Just the PSU. Here's how i found it...

As you can see from my sig, i have 2x WD Raptor 74Gb - Raid0 + 1x Hitachi 160GB. I turn off all my hard drives and disconnected them. I pluged 1x WD 250GB sataII with a clean SO, pluged to the board and boot my system, tried everything from browsing, to gaming, benchs, stability tests, everything as i did before haven't found a single issue. The system run perfected!

Putted back only the 2x WD Raptor 74Gb - Raid0 and the issues were back again . So i thought that my problem was the Raptors Raid0 setup that was creating the issues in my system, as i have read here and on some others forums.

But having the LCpower550W next to me in the box, looking at her i thought....«What the hell....Why not?!... I'm about to change board or buy a new kit of ram to see if i could "kill" my issues».

Pluged out the Enermax, pluged in the LCpower.....«Huumm...different boot, fast and smooth...Let's OC 250x10 1:1/260x10 1:1 and try stability tests, spi32mb, Prime, memtest, Everest Ultimate, browsing, gaming, etc....» - Not a single issue!!... I love this...Board!!

Which SATA slots are your raptors in?

Have you connected the floppy power cable to the mobo as well as the ATX?

2x WD Raptor 74Gb - Raid0 - SATA slots 1 and 2

1x Hitachi 160GB - SATA slot 3

No, there is no need to connect the floppy power cable to the board, that's only if you have CF and i have not.

This is such a complex issue any feedback would be great

Tonight, i will try to post here all my settings of the bios.

So either the problem is my Power Supply or the fact that I have Four Western Digital Drives? Boy, color me sad.

2x150GB raptors

A few posts back TLER was mentioned,

When i questioned WD support they said that TLER function was not available in 74GB raptors, but was available in their new 150GB raptors, SO if you are still getting those stutters/timeouts with the 150GB raptors THEN this is a controller issue AND DFI should be looking into a fix for this !

I have been discussing the TLER issue with DFI and discovered that my Raptors, although brought as a raid pair, were supplied as 1 x raptor 150 and 1 raptor X 150 (with the clear top).

WD describes the Raptor 150 as an Enterprise drive with TLER functionallity. The Raptor X is not and is classed as a desktop drive.

My issue may well be down to this. I have RMAed the raptor X and will then have 2 x raptor 150's that match.

For now, i think my results may be misleading. I will report back on Friday when the new drive arrives.

Just checking on the WD site and there are two different types of 36GB and 74GB raptors. one set have TLER, the others dont. The 150GB's are either TLER or not for the Raptor X

Would be good to know the exact model number of your drives, see if there is a link... Checking in the ULI windows app gives the identification.

WD1500ADFD = 150GB with TLER

WD1500AHFD = Raptor X 150GB without

WD740ADFD = 74GB with TLER

WD740GD = 74GB without

WD360ADFD = 36GB with TLER

WD360GD = 36GB without

Can as many people as possible post what they have and say if they have the issue or not please?

I know but my PSU was a Enermax Liberty 620W, one of the great PSU in the market. Should i doubted of the capacity of my PSU?!

Honestly i thought my liberty 500w would be enough for 1 x1900xt and 2 74 gb raptors?

A few posts back TLER was mentioned,

When i questioned WD support they said that TLER function was not available in 74GB raptors, but was available in their new 150GB raptors, SO if you are still getting those stutters/timeouts with the 150GB raptors THEN this is a controller issue AND DFI should be looking into a fix for this !

Well, I have 4 WD2500KS drives from Newegg which does not appear to have the TLER feature. At least not according to the officical WD site or the Newegg site.