Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

It's all about the dollars. Get the product on the shelf and sell them, we will worry about making it work later. Or in this case, don't really do anything. You would think for the amount of business DFI does with nvidia and that OEM's stick with Intel they would have some pull in getting this ULI issue fixed. It's just a lack of effort..

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the new bios and new driver combo, re installed windows with no luck, still the m5288 errors. I have now switched to the sil controller and no drive probs what so ever, just a shame I have to sacrifice my Sata II to get it to work.

I would RMA but it seems hit and miss if this will fix it.

We all ended up with it broke off in our butt on this one.

Aye, and I spent $215 (227 after shipping) as I had already waited two months on the dang board to hit the market. Given the choice again, I would've gone with the Expert and 7600GT/7900GT, but I'm still happy with the amount of tweakability. The other boards sporting RD580 don't have nearly the same. I honestly thought SATA was so mature that ULi would've gotten it right, but NVIDIA swooped in and mucked things up. If I had the smarts I'd reverse engineer the Asus board's BIOS to see how they fixed it through the BIOS without a special driver.

So you are saying that moving to SiI (Did you disable the ULI?) is causing changes in a different BIOS setting?

If so, this lends more weight to the notion that this BIOS is a bit funny! :)

Yes ULI is totally disabled and remember I don't run any RAID config at the moment just pure basic SATA - I think it was noted at the very beginning of the saga of this board that moving to the SIL renders the setting auto - no amount of changing has any effect - so I just live with it.

Still pretty new at this. How do I switch to the SIL controller?

Is there a way to do so without losing the data I already have on my harddrives?

It's not so much a problem as it is an inconvienience. I do have an external HDD, but I hate these lockups.

I'm sorry, I'm still confused as to what is going on here...do these ULI errors just show up from usage of the ULI sata ports, or just when raid is enabled? Is everyone pissed that they can't set up raid between the two controllers?

And my last question, which was actually gonna be my first question: Is it possible to use both the Sil and ULI sata ports at the same time, but with no intention of a raid array? I'm getting more HDD's and I like to use the Sil ports but I have yet to get this accursed ULI error and am scared to do anything to F'up my rig. Thx.

@Mussels: NCQ on or off makes no difference for me. I have it off most of the time though as it actually slows things down. It seems it's only useful in hi I/O situations, e.g. defragmenting and the like. :(

NCQ Setting? Where is this located? Also, is everyone getting cold boots? When I say cold boot I mean it won't load up windows and you're forced to reboot the comp, or is that my weird sata set up? (lol check sig; will fix soon)

NCQ Setting? Where is this located? Also, is everyone getting cold boots? When I say cold boot I mean it won't load up windows and you're forced to reboot the comp, or is that my weird sata set up? (lol check sig; will fix soon)

Yes, I see those cold boot problems sometimes too ....

NCQ can be set but the ULI RAID util but it is also available in the driver options of the latest driver. i.e. Windows key/pause break, device manager, d-click SCSI/RAID controillers, d-click ULI SATA and there should be a tab there with options.

That said, I just tried it under 64-bit windows and it's not there ... so if you ring 64-bit you may have to turn on the utility temporarily to set it or boot into 32-bit.

It's stored in the drives when set.