Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Problems with CFX3200-DR? Post here (merged)

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• My Hard Drive is 16MB Cache
    • My Hard Drive is 8MB Cache
    • I have issues with the ULI Raid Controller
    • I do not have issues with the ULI Raid Controller

That's weird. I got revision AB0.

But if some boards have a default ULi chip then comparing revisions isn't going to help.

Got my GameXStream and waterpump back on Friday so I hope the new bios and driver will solve my freezing problem.

Whoa, look out! They actually have a newer revision? Maybe they just changed the rev number for higher serial numbers? Nah, probably DFI just didn't know what board I was talking about.

Then again, there could only be one revision of the ULi chipset...

Guest sexyjeep

As you can already see from my system specs in my sig, I do not currently have this DFI board. What brings me to this thread though is the fact that I might own this board (very soon) when the ATI 1950XTX is released in 15 days.

I have had a crap load of problems with my current ASUS board and it is coming down to me having to RMA it, but with the upcoming of this new 1950XTX, I’m planning on ditching my current NVIDIA board and graphics card all together to run my first ATI board with crossfire including two 1950XTX’s. This CFX3200 board has everything I MUST HAVE to use all of the equipment in my current modified case/system. I have looked at almost every other crossfire board on the market and they all fall short by 1 or two things except for this board (CFX3200).

The problem is that here we are on this thread with over 40 pages of people who are all having these lock-ups from hour to hour. Yes, I have almost read through all 41 pages and it seems as though the problem has not been completely resolved (hit a miss almost). I’ve had 8 months worth of trouble-shooting with my ASUS board, and if I were to have the same problems with this board then I might just end up hanging myself. There is one difference in my setup though, that most people are not doing. I would be running all 4 of my raptors on the Sil controller rather than the ULI because I have a SATA type 2 drive that I would want to run on the ULI (because of the 3/gb transfer rates). If I ran my raptors on the ULI then I would be out of 3/GB slots, and since the raptors are only type 1 drives any ways, then I might as well put them on the Sil controller. Although, I have seen a few posts out of this 40-page thread where some guys say they are having the problem when using Sil controller too. It seems though that you might have a better chance at getting it to work with the Sil though, because most of the posts are centered on the ULI when running raid or a single drive. It also seems as if WD has more problems with this board than any other drive (that kind of scares me too). If I’m not mistaken

I’m basically thinking about taking the gamble by buying this board and praying that it will work for me, but it almost sounds like a foolish thing to do when everyone on here is still trying to figure out what the “permanent” remedy is. Obviously those of you who have posted on here know more about my destiny with this board than I do because you own them.

Let me know what you think; is it worth trying, should I stay away a while longer, or do you think my setup (running raid on the Sil controller) will possibly spare me these lockup issues…? You guys are the pros here; any insight you can provide will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and professionalism.

Jeepy

My personal opinion: Buy it. I love this board despite the problem. And it's really the only lasting problem I've had. The board actually cost me $240 USD because I had to buy an extra stick of RAM to even get into the BIOS, but once updated I was able to use the RAM in my sig. No big deal. And DFi has been quite good about RMA and the issue itself (although some people would say otherwise) so my experience overall has been great.

With 2gb of RAM, I haven't noticed the hard drive speed too much, so running on the Sil controller is alright. Load times are comparable/faster to my old PATA hard drive, but once in-game it screams.

Please note as well that there are many people who have not experienced the errors. It seems to depend on hardware, drivers, and luck of the draw. It may have just been a bad run of ULi chips causing the problem, or a particular combination of hardware which was resolved with drivers/BIOS. Ragardless, I'm sticking with this thing 'til the end.

EDIT: Yes, I admit I have been extremely frustrated at times, but I still love the board.

I can't recall, have we been checking which week our ULi chips were made and comparing? Mine is 0551 which is incidentally the same bad week of my Opty 165 :eek2: Errors seemed to disappear after a couple weeks of using Bios 5/23, but they returned with 7/28 and were made worse with the beta drivers, and I only have a single SATA drive on the ULi, just for reference.

sexyjeep, 4xRaptors in RAID0 would choke on the SI3114's PCI bus connection, even the m5288's PCI-E would have trouble keeping the STR up (unless it's 2x or 4x, can't remember). You might try getting a good hardware based SATA RAID card for $150-300 (should work in the 16x slot if you're not planning on CF the X1950) that would also help get the most performance out of those four beauties. Also IDK if they fixed the issue but something like the SI3114 can't be used to boot if the ULi is being used IIRC (JIC you plan on booting the Raptor array while using the drive on the ULi).

I would agree with poopshotty, couldn't pry this board from my hands :D

Kind of weird... but I just realized that after updating to the latest beta bios & beta driver, I still do have the same errors in XP log, BUT the computer doesn't seem to (hmmm... knocking on wood) crash or freeze any longer. It does, however, often need two boots before if loads XP correctly, or the LAN (for example) works. Like a car needing some warming of engine... Still, after that, it has been rock stable in long (3 hours or so) gaming sessions, overnight system backups & so on. Overall, it's usable now - hopefully will remain so too.

Well all the problems have returned - Cannot now play any games for more than a minute. Locks or resets. May go and get an AM2 board and destroy this motherboard in the garden! I doubt very much if any effort is focussed on this board anymore - will all be aimed at the newer ones.

Here's a couple of emails I received from Frank at DFITS:

I gave the board to RMA department a few days ago. I should ask your shipping address so I could send myself. Let me double check with Donna, the lady who in charge the RMA dep. By the way, I did see the error message you mentioned about. Everything worked OK after I updated the BIOS. The problem seemed memory related.

We haven't received the old board yet. I saw this error message on the brand new board I sent. The strange thing is it only happened on the OEM version Windows XP. The retailed version worked fine. Both of them worked fine after updating the BIOS.

Two more possible fixes.

Well I just moved over to the other controller on the mobo so I am totally free of the ULI now. And suprise surprise the PC works flawlessly. Suppose its good not to be in RAID on this PC!

Will test this with some hard 3D game play sessions and see if I lockup or crash, but I think if I stay clear of ULI I will be fine!