Sign in to follow this  
metal-sick-o

Has AS5 met its match?????

Hey guys, its on sale now for $15 instead of $20

I would try it out but i am not as carefull and neat as some of you more experienced as some of the "great ones".... but i am woundering if it is worth the pain to install, and what the aftermath is on this stuff

Metal

Not gonna do it. I can see it now, a tiny drip gets on my case, the next morning I have a pile of parts on the floor.

The IHS is solid copper, with a nickel plating. No mention of how that stuff handles nickel.

That link is worth a second post.

Damn straight, You might think you'd be ok with a Copper Zalman like that but man you'd be wrong

I ordered some on Ebay at $9.95 +3.50 shipping from UK. I tried it, I was very careful, it's about the same level of care as with a bare core. Don't bother with this stuff unless you have a very smooth and flat HS and IHS. I lapped mine before apply the liquid metal. I used an artists brush to spread it and a coffee filter to pick up the excess. I used the Storm and the FX-60. I ran Prime95 duel small FFTs trying to heat the Proc. It held at 35 - 36C. My room temp has gone up a few degrees in the past couple of weeks anf I had been getting 43C with this test. I'm sure lapping also contributed but I thought the storm was pretty smooth.

This stuff won't cover problem areas at all. A thin coat on each face and that's it. Also, it is very time consuming. I'm used to changing out procs in minutes. It is ver time consuming for cleanup too. I would only reccomend it to people who were really into very meticulous controls. It is much too involved for general use.

I would say that if you are the kind of person who laps their HS everytime it get a gain of 1C then this is for you. The stuff does wash out and off your fingers with lots of LAVA soap. I should have used that mechanics stuff in the garage.

Anyone else want to try. I have two tubes.