Sign in to follow this  
Silencer00

PWM IC Temps overly high =/

When I get home if prime is still running strong I'm going to consider this stable. I'll see if I can jury-rig a fan in some out of sight spot to blow across the IC and set myself at ease hah.

This is the chip im concerned about right - Could I just toss a heatsink on there and get some more airflow across the thing?

dfi6rl.jpg

Yes go ahead and cut to fit a ram sink to fit then add a 80mm fan near it. You could also look into MBM5 for better software readings. (MBM5 sticky is located in the software section) BTW: You don't have the jumper set to 4v do you?

Well I slapped a heatsink on the PWM IC, and installed an 80MM fan - I'm about 10 degrees cooler now! Prime has been running for 20 minutes or so and temps have pretty much leveled off at:

CPU: 43

PWM IC: 50

Chipset: 43

I'm content with these settings I think. Oh and thanks for the MBM data file link - I was using the app on my previous setup (ABIT NF7-S mobo) and there didnt seem to be an automatic way to configure my DFI through the wizard. Ive been getting readings through SmartGuardian which is giving me identical numbers to MBM - but this is a lot more readable.

Thanks all. :cool:

Silencer00, Also check your settings in bios, under pc health. set cpu=full at 40c, chipset=full at 39c, set both off at 25c. this may help lower the temps on these two but will not help on the PWMIC.

mine was running at about 68C when I was at 2.8ghz... but it scared me. I'll roll with 2.6 for awhile until I grow another set of balls ;)

Wow, I was wondering the same exact thing. I'm testing to see where I can OC my rig to safely, and saw one of the mobo temps in Speedfan sitting at 53C while running Prime95 and SuperPi. I have the DFI NF4 Ultra-D. Why is that chip running so hot? I'm only OC'ing the FSB by 14 MHz. I'm running my FX-57 right at 3 Gig instead of 2.8 Gig through the FSB OC. No extra voltage on my mem (2.6v) and 1.48v on the cpu (up from 1.4v). If that chip runs so hot, why isn't the mobo made with a heatsnink on it? DFI seems to be a lot better than Asus to me - but that chip running so warm scares me! :nod:

smartguardian says my PWMIC is like 41-43C avg, and i have mediocre airflow, A64 3200+ @ 2.65GHz, 1.55v

but i think picking up a pack of ram-sinks and just throwing them on random IC's in your computer is definitly a good idea.. :) cooler is always better

You're putting 1.65v on the Vcore...what did you expect to have as temps? lol

Obviously putting a fan there will help, but it could be troublesome to mount it...

Haven't found an ideal solution to mount it properly yet...