PWM IC Temps overly high =/

First post here - go easy on me please :D

So I'm running at 300x9 @ 1.65v and I'm currently in the process of running superpi 32M to test stability...

From SmartGuardian My CPU temp is hanging right around 50C, chipset about 45C; but the PWMIC is red at 68C. Could the sensor be off? Just browsing around it sounds like ~55C is common. Why would mine be so much higher?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fan suggestion is a good one. Mine shot up to 70c (WARNING) during prime the other day. Bit of a shock. I now have a fan over it, connected to fan 2 on the motherboard, and my max temps are about 51/52 now. The fan also helps cool the chipset.

RLM

well I have a CNPS9500 thats sucking air right across that area - plus my room alone is like 23C ambient. It just seems odd that all my other temps seem to be in line - I'm going to knock my cpu core voltage back to stock and see what my readings are.

Will be back shortly.

Hi ya. You said that you were using SmartGuardian to report the temperatures, however to check that it is not a software problem, check the temperatures in SmartGuardian, then quickly restart the computer into bios, and check in the bios what temperatures are recorded. Currently I like Everest to report my temps, but the temp for my CPU in Everest is about 4-5 degrees below what it says in my bios.

In general it is better to trust the read outs from the bios over any software that you may have. Once you have checked that the bios confirms the software temps, then at least you have ruled that out.

Good Luck.

I have looked through some of my old pc crap to find a perfect fan to use for my pwmic and came across the prefect fan to use that is ideal for use with the pwmic heatsinks (works on the SLI-d but not sure on the other models) it brought my temp down from 50'C to only 30'C (idle)huge drop hey but now if i do any sort of stress test or play games or anything it doesnt even get close to 50'C. all it is, is a system blower fan ( link http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/...e_1890_23232992 ) all i done was i superglued the molex plug to the end where the screw would normaly go if u put it in a slot then pluged it into the mobo molex plug and it blows directly over the pwmic heat sinks. then if u like u could do something to hold the top but if u dont move ur pc much then it will b fine.

Well over lunch I played around with things a bit, trying to get this thing stable at 2.6Ghz.

The lucky settings so far seem to be:

vcore: 1.55 (bios reports the core is getting 1.52)

vdimm: 2.7

HTT: 289

CPU Mult: 9x

Mem div: 5/8 (241Mhz effectively)

So after arriving on this I setup 2 prime 95's running 'in-place large fft's' and it's been running solid for about 2 hours. Prior to this I tried lower vcore's but 1.5 died in about an hour, so I'm hoping 1.55 should do the trick. Though there is still that pesky problem of the PWM IC temp! :(

Temps (during full load) are as follows:

CPU: 42C

PWM IC: 62C

Chipset: 44C

Now I'm not sure how safe it is to run my machine continuously in this state, but if everything is stable is that single oddity going to harm anything? It seems like my cpu and chipset arent really being taxed that much and this damn PWM chip is holding me back *shrug*

Temps (during full load) are as follows:

CPU: 42C

PWM IC: 62C

Chipset: 44C

Now I'm not sure how safe it is to run my machine continuously in this state, but if everything is stable is that single oddity going to harm anything? It seems like my cpu and chipset arent really being taxed that much and this damn PWM chip is holding me back *shrug*

That's completely fine IMO for being under load. My PWM also experiences relatively high temps during load because of the huge dead spot between the Ninja HSF and mobo in a P180 case. PWM idles around 37-38C but can go as high as 59C on load. I've had no stability issues though - just passed 40+ hours of dual Prime in fact.