Sign in to follow this  
JoshB

Windows XP Home Edtion (Important)!!

Good find...sad for XP Home Users..... :(

I'm using Windows XP SP1, and besides i don't care about the Windows Updates.... :)

Did not see that follow-up article. Still Windows Pro will be supported longer than Home. Thanks DragonFly.

Well, that’s just plain BS dumping the public like that. It seems, if I remember correctly, that MS tried doing the same thing with Win98, and public outcry was so strong they ended up extending it another two or three years. Millions still use Win98. Not me, I never liked Win98, and went straight from Win95 to XP. Microsoft will be pressured to back off those dates, I’d bet on that.

What the heck is Vista anyway? I mean, is there something wrong with XP?

The update to the article was posted months back, and support for windows home edition has been extended until 2008. Anyway I'm not too fussed, there are loads of places you can get help other than microsoft, but yes updates (or lack thereof) may cause problems for some people. However there are only so many things they can patch, and since home edition has been out so long, then most things will have already have been sorted out by now.

What annoys me is that the first article is outraged about:

There should be considerably more overlap in support for their consumer OS. While five years of support for XP Home may have seemed reasonable when it was expected that there would be little more than three years between major OS updates, the time it has taken to bake Windows Vista has thrown this out entirely. If Vista launches in October, it would give users a mere two months to move to the OS, or risk being unsupported.

And then when Microsoft decides on its own to do what it wants to do, its a case of:

Support has been quietly extended.

Like there is some huge cover up, or this piddly little article has made a huge difference. Microsoft is a massive organisation, and some parts will not get updated, information will be outdated, and possibly incorrect. Personally I wouldn't have been surprised that Microsoft hadn't been planning on extending their product support already. Support for an operating system will require planning, staff, offices, and money, and all of this could not have been just arranged at the drop of a hat.

And wingspar asked:

Well no nothing is wrong with it, but without questioning what could be better, then there would be nothing but stagnation.

I've read only bits and pieces about vista, but it looks like its going to have some very impressive features.

For example support for hybrid hard drives, that combine standard hard drives with RAM memory for incredibly low loading times.

Bootup will be optimised so that it will load the programs that you use regularly first, and then once in the vista environment, finish loading up programs that you don't use often. So bootup should be faster.

Currently some patches require Windows to restart. In vista they are planning to have a system, where the current files are backed up, replaced by the new files, then processes transfered over, and the old files deleted, so no more restarting vista every update.

A new type of power down, where the contents of the memory is backed up as a file on the hard drive, and the computer completely turns off. Then when you turn the computer back on, the file is restored to memory, and you can continue where you left off.

I could go on, but there are many things I am waiting for, and I hope vista delivers, we shall have to see.

:confused:

It's not about what's wrong with XP it's about the fact that if you don't move in the industry you are dead. That and usually if a company wants to make money, they usually have to actually produce something on a regular basis :shake:

Well no nothing is wrong with it, but without questioning what could be better, then there would be nothing but stagnation.

exactly.

For example support for hybrid hard drives, that combine standard hard drives with RAM memory for incredibly low loading times.
I don't think there are really any mass produced hard drives like this right now. And by RAM, I think you are thinking of basically large solid state hard drives.

Currently some patches require Windows to restart. In vista they are planning to have a system, where the current files are backed up, replaced by the new files, then processes transfered over, and the old files deleted, so no more restarting vista every update.
I am sure reboots will be minimized, but there will always be instances when you need to. They have been preaching of less reboots since Windows 2000 came out.

A new type of power down, where the contents of the memory is backed up as a file on the hard drive, and the computer completely turns off. Then when you turn the computer back on, the file is restored to memory, and you can continue where you left off.

Uh, we have that right now. It's called hibernation.

MS TechEd this year is going to have A LOT of Vista talks, as it should. I plan to attend as many as I can.

I think they made a mistake when they stopped supporting my WindowsME. Patching all the security holes in ME has become a full-time job for me.

Just kidding - The point being they are in business to make money. XP Home addition was just a lure to get you hooked to MS. Even if they wanted to they could not afford to support XP forever.

exactly.

I don't think there are really any mass produced hard drives like this right now. And by RAM, I think you are thinking of basically large solid state hard drives.

I am sure reboots will be minimized, but there will always be instances when you need to. They have been preaching of less reboots since Windows 2000 came out.

Uh, we have that right now. It's called hibernation.

MS TechEd this year is going to have A LOT of Vista talks, as it should. I plan to attend as many as I can.

My mistake about hibernation, I was getting confused with something else. However possibly there may still be the requirement for restarts, but as I'm not a technician then I can't explain all the details. It may be possibly that you can update windows without restarting at all, we shall see.

However about hybrid hard drives, no I don't mean solid state hard drives. As the name implies the hard drive will have a standard magnetic plate that will be as large as current drives, but then it will also be combined with a flash chip. Any documents that you have opened since you restarted your computer will have an image saved in the flash chip, in addition to the hard drive. Now because hard drives are slower, the computer will access the files from the hard drives flash chip, which will be at very fast transfer rates, and then once you have the file open, the main hard drive will slowly as fast as it can catch up. Similarly when you save a file to the hard drive, it initially gets saved to the flash chip, nearly instantly, then the image is slowly transfered onto the mainhard drive for long term saving. So you can think of the flash chip as an extremely large buffer of sorts.

For more infor see here:

Microsoft Vista (can you smell the Microsoft)

Do you guys realize that since Vista won't hit the streets until after January 2007 you will have XP Home support until almost the end of the decade?

Yes we know, the person who originally posted the article didn't realise there was a link to an update for it, which stated that Microsoft had extended its support period. Then the thread moved on to why do we need Vista when we are all happy with XP, :confused: , and now its all been answered. SO all is well again :) .