Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion "Official" mods/downloads thread (up

Found a very interesting guide to tweaking and mods for Oblivion:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

The first couple pages are about optimizing your system period (things most here probably have done already), but after that it provides some good information on in-game settings and continues to tweaking the .ini file to your liking.

Forgive me for any repeats some may be newr versions though. The computers have very little hit from many visual improvements because the game was apparently designed to look good on the Xbox360 and then to work on PC. Plenty of files to inprove performance and looks at the same time here are a few :) it is hard to keep up there are many more here though it is not cloce to a complete list Mods by rating

Immersive interface

Companion Share/Recruit

Fletching kit

This can be a little unbalencing some of the enchantments on the arrows is overwhelming unless you are at a higher level.

Natural Faces must have

Tweaper A few have had issues back up before using but huge gains in performance for many.

Havent tested these yet:

Landscape replacer

Ayled Ruid testure Pack

Charok Grand Hall

This modification adds a copy of the Cloud Temple "asian-style" building (changed the Great Hall into a house for the Player) and alters several ponds in the adjoining areas of wilderness at the "Charok's Grand Hall" fast travel icon made in the The West Weald (it's in the middle of the map to the south). This mod does NOT overwrite/replace anything important in the original game. When you are inside the Hall you can still use the fast travel map.

While you guys are on the subject of Oblivion, alot of people complain how the outside areas slow down their systems. Reason being because of slower video cards. ( Really no card is no match for this blood thirsty game) In my case when I get around alot of people inside for example in the Mages Guilds I get some slow down. But outside where more people are spread out it runs smooth even with reasonable amounts of grass being drawn. It seems the peoples' movements ,AI and Physics is to much load on my cpu when there all bunched together like that in a house. I wander if there are some commands in the config file that will have a big impact on taking off that loud on my cpu. I checked out that tweak guide at tweakguides.com not very thoroughly yet because I can't stop playing the game long enough to do it. By the way this game is, um I can't find the right words to do its justice but I love it. Hours seem like minutes then I have to get back to reality. The Mods are sweet. Like the Clear water mod where the fog under the water is taken away and you can see everything like the rocks and animals and stuff clearly. When I would play in third person view the camera movement was not smooth. I couldn't beleave they made A MOD where it smooths the camera movement, that made the game so much better. GameSpot.com

wrote an article about which platform Oblivian is better to play on in terms of Graghics,gameplay and playability, PC Or Xbox 360. They didn't say it in words but they seemed to favor the Xbox360. A First Person RPG, everyone should know that any game in First Person Perspective or Role playing is so much better on a PC. Consoles are just to linear.

I had to do a re-install of Windows a few weeks ago, and have purposely left Oblivion uninstalled. I found out that I stopped socializing, and slept about 5 hours a day with it installed.

As to the Gamespot review, from what I recall they chose the Xbox360 only because it ran better than low and mid range computers. From what I could see, a high-end system destroyed the 360 in graphics and gameplay. Not to mention all the mods you can do with the PC version that aren't available on the 360.

A First Person RPG, everyone should know that any game in First Person Perspective or Role playing is so much better on a PC. Consoles are just to linear.

I disagree. Consoles can be just as free-form as any pc game now that they have downloads and and a hard drive to store them on/load them from.

The main point I have about console FPS is the terrible controls. Never as precise as a mouse and keyboard.

However with a console being a closed system, the new ones being a little more powerful than everyone's computer (trust me on this...the hardware is pure power...the software has yet to find the full potential of the hardware...and by the time it does, PC hardware which CAN be upgraded will have passed it by in features, but not performance for about 3 years of the product's life....but only about 1 year in and the console can already be beated in feature-sets of gpu rendering hardware).

My brother and I are going to split an Xbox360 for our birthday since we were born 7 years and 7 days apart. We did this last year for Xmas and birthday (split hockey jerseys for each other and momma). We are definitely ready for it after having the Xbox for 4 years maybe (hard to remember that long ago lol).

Then again, there seems to be this rift about console gamers vs pc gamers and it's a snobby little routine usually like the mac vs windows guys.

I love my consoles as much if not more than my PC for gaming. I just won't play RTS and FPS games on the console until they get a mouse/keyboard.

Consoles are no longer linear, and haven't been since Xbox came out with a hard drive.

Too bad developers are STILL NOT UTILIZING IT PROPERLY.

Needs to be like Steam and roll out episodic content for a few dollars (and like Bethesda is doing with their 'official' mods that cost a buck or three).