Sign in to follow this  
inveterate

PCIe Slots

Is it possible at all to Use the Bottom x16 slot of my board @ x16, i've noticed it only works at 2x, while the box obviously claims that both slots are x16. I ask this because if i can use the bottom slot, i can install better coolers to my g card cuz of more space. I don't need SLI.

This actually has been covered here before. The answer is no, the bottom is only set to 2x (Default) and can only be changed to 8x (SLI MODE). So the top would as well change from 16x to 8x if you change the bottom speed. This is how it works, don't ask, we all have to deal with this. Do a search in the forum to understand in more details.... :)

Here look....

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ottom+PCI-E+16X

There are two different measures being used.

One is the physical slot length. The X16 slots are the longest according to spec.

The other measure is bandwidth. This is determined by the actual number of lanes assigned to the slot. A slot can never have more bandwidth than it's physical length.

A lane is one set of serial connections to the bus. These can be controlled through a hard switch or the BIOS.

A X16 length slot can actually be configured to provide a X1 single lane.