Exhaust fan (fan2) power connection has died. any suggestions?

i dont mind the noise really - i am just concerned if i get the higher delta fan - it takes more watts and i dont want to stress the board - the delta i have is 92 mm but it was the med. speed - about 60cfm

i wasnt sure if the high speed version - was too much with watts - it needs 5.04 compared to what ih have now the med. speed at 2.08 watts --

but if i feel i need the higher CFM's - i give that a shot and connect to psu and then the one i take off standing on top of another one i have standing on the bottom of the case facing the chipset -

i see how the temps are after i change all the case fans - the high speed delta pushes 79CFM's

not sure if that would make a difference --

how much CFM's do you need before it dosnt make a difference --

thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i will say it again, .3 amp max, what this is in watts, i have no friggin' idea.

go for it.

baldy

if u r using a 12V fan that would be like .3 x 12 = 3.6Watts

Why are you guys making this so complex? Do you really need to know your fan speeds? You can monitor your temps all the same. Yea you can get a controller that also measure speed but why6 bother and they are usualy not as good as the KISS ones. Yea you could connect the yellow lkead to the MB and power it from the PSU but...........

If you used 5 normal case fans not the ones used to power toy helicopters it would not be a problem but who gets a normal anything anymore. Everyone gets the super duper high powerd ones then complains that they are to loud...... I hope this is not a big suprise tou you guys. Yea I do the same thign too it is only natural.

yes i agree - i know the fans i got will be much louder - but i rather have them push more cfm to keep it cool rather than have it quiet and run hot

being the way my room is with temps -- my apt. is very warm - so i didnt think about a controller because i most likely have to keep them running at full anyway -

i was just concerned about how much wattage etc. can the board handle - since i didnt realize different fans have more watts they need etc. -

i wont connect any more to the board now -

i only have the CPU fan to board and the stock chipset fan - plue one more 92mm delta that takes 2.08 watts -- the rest are going to the PSU

i should be ok this way rigth ?

thanks

*whips out electrnoics text book*

Let's take a quick look at units, shall we...

One joule of energy is required to move one coulomb of charge through a potential difference of 1 volt.

If one Coulomb of charge flows past a specific point in a conductor over an interval of one second, then a current of one ampere flows.

1 Amp = 1 Coulomb / Second

1 Volt = 1 Joule / Coulomb

Now, what's a Watt? 1 Watt = 1 Joule / Second (*BY DEFINITION*)

So...

1 Watt = (1 Joule / Coulomb) * (1 Coulomb / Second) = 1 V * 1 A

To find the power consumed by a component, simply multiply the voltage drop across the component by the amount of current it draws

This is just by analyzing the unit systems (and checking with my textbook "The Essence of Analog Electronics")

ok - now explain that to me in english --

i am concerned since i hear so much about not connecting the fans to the board now -

i have 2 fans -- both draw 2.08 watts each and the stock chipset fan on the board

am i ok ? one fan is the cpu fan - 92mm delta med speed - and the other is the same fan but i just have it facing the chipset to help keep it cooler

and then the stock chip fan thats on the board

all other fans are connected to psu -

is this ok the way i have them connected

thanks

I think the problem lies in the current draw for the fans. I'm not sure how much a fan draws but I know with all of the different manufacturers and sizes of fans that there is a big difference between all of them. The board was probably designed with the CPU fan in mind and it probably has a low draw. Now add a 3,4 or even 5 120 mm fans into the mix and you might be drawing an amp or so. This power is being sucked away from your motherboard and puts alot of strain on the motherboard power connector. With all of the extra connectors that arent used its much simpler to just bypass the motherboard

ok i understand - i wont add any more to the board and may just take one off and use the psu if i can

i didnt finish connecting all the case fans - i have new ones i want to use with a controller for the 4 front that will each push 53cfms -

i see you have the same x2 as mines -

how high did you get it to run and stable ?

i just passed 9 hours with sp2004 for 2.5 fsb228

i will try fsb230 now -