Exhaust fan (fan2) power connection has died. any suggestions?

lol, why supply a mobo with 5 fan connections and then say don't use them :shake:

Yeah I would rather they not put power connections for fans on the motherboard.

I don't have any fans connected to the motherboard including the chipset fan. I have a 3 channel 2xHeaders/channel. One channel controls the intake fans, another channel controls the exhaust fans, and the last channel controls the CPU and Chipset fans. This lets me easily create either a positive or negative pressure inside the case. When I'm not gaming, I can turn the fans all the way down to reduce noise. There is also evidence that systems run more stable when fans are not drawing power from the mobo.

Whether or not you RMA the board, you might want to try using a fan controller.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, how many times have knowlegdable forum members railed against using high draw fans on m/b headers. Always the same questions get asked "why are they there then?", "what can go wrong?" etc. etc. etc. It's like a broken record. I'll make the same statement I've made at least a dozen times before, get all fans (save the nf4 chipset fan) off of the m/b headers - and yes this applies even to the cpu fan if you are using anything other than a stock AMD cooler.

Purchase an inexpensive fan controller (you can get one at PcToys - they have a nice house brand) and use it to control the speed on all of your fans, except for the nf4 chipset fan.

If everything else in your setup is running fine, it seems like an awful lot of work, not to mention wait, to RMA the board just for a bummed fan header. But in the end it's your board, your time and your money, so you'll have to make the best decision for yourself.

And my rant above is more for other users who may find this thread when asking questions about using the onboard fan headers. Save all of that valuable motherboard power for important stuff, like power regulators, cpu, memory, chipset etc.

i understand why its better not to use the MB to run the fans - i have just CPU fan - chip fan and extra fan in case going to the board - and that may change later if i feel it has issues - but the rest of my fans are all connected to the psu one way or another -

but i also agree that if a board is made with 5 fan headers to use for fans - i would think it can handle it - and it should if they make it with that many

i know it all depends on how much power each fan uses -- i think DFI should say --each fan header can use so much power per fan etc. and give the users some idea what each fan header can take -

or not put that many to begin with -

i had no problems with my setup - hopefully i dont :D

lol, why supply a mobo with 5 fan connections and then say don't use them :shake:

because if we didn't include fan headers, then you'd all change your complaining to "why the hell are there no fan headers?"

and then half of the users would reply "just get a dang fan controller or 3-to-4 pin converter"

its the same argument about anything we do

"why the hell doesn't DFI put an active chipset cooler on the board?"

so we do, and now the complaint is "why the hell did DFI put this crap chipset cooler on the board?"

*sigh*

your rigth -- you cant make everyone happy

i cant say i have any issues with my ultra d

i have 3 fans connected to the board - 2 are 92mm delta and the stock chipset fan -

i read from someone on here that 3watts is the max for each header ?

is that true - ?

i like to know that because in the future if i change the CPU fan for the high speed delta - it takes more watts and would not want to use the board fan header if its going to give me a problem -

if i used the psu for the CPU fan - how can i monitor it for speed etc. - ?

thanks

.3 amp max..............

92mm case fans should not be connected for sure, 80 mm a no too, even if they come with a three pin connector.

jeesh,

just take for what its worth, after you have handled a couple of hundred MB's, you will come to the conclusion it is not a good idea to have your board pinouts populated with this and that, they fail with regularity, especially with bigger, higher amp draw fans...and, like i said before, it is not limited to

DFI boards persay..............

whatever...

baldy

Really ? what your saying is you shouldnt connect any fan to them - i understand the reason if too much is being drawn - but 3 watt is the max for each header right ?

i have 2 delta 92mm fans connected to the board

they each pull i think if i am correct 2.08 watts each and the stock chipset fan is connected -

its good to know - in case i add any more or highter wattage fans - i will go direct to psu

what would you say can be connected to the board

if 92mm and 80mm are ruled out - whats really ?

also do you know if you dont use the board connectors for CPU fan etc, -- how can you monitor it for speed etc. is there another way or program

thanks

thanks - i didnt explain myself - i meanth to say how do you monitor the speed in terms of seeing how fast its spinning on your desktop - like smartgardian -

where you can see the speed of the fan or fans

since my room is very warm - i dont think i be turning them down any - i have to see how loud they are first - if i really cant take it - then i get a controller -

Unless I'm completely out of it...

Couldn't you just split the sense and the power connectors on the fan? Have the sense going to the motherboard (possibly with an extra 3 pin connector) and the power to a fan controller. A lot of my fans have separate power and sense connectors.

ok -- i didnt know you could do that -- i just thought you either plug it in one or the other -

i was just curious if i change the cpu fan later on to a high speed which pulls more watts and i would connect it to the psu instead of the board as it is now

thanks