PCI Problem...?

Hey guys, having a little trouble here and the search didn't seem to help me out so I figured I would start a post in hopes of finding some answers.

I just got a 5.1 surround system for the comp and was having some serious static issues in games using the onboard Karajan audio (big surprise there :rolleyes: )

So I decided to go out and buy a Sound Blaster to get some better quality sound from my games and movies but as soon as I booted up the comp after installing the PCI audio card the computer didn't auto detect it? I thought this was wierd and went ahead and installed the drivers anyway but when installing got an error saying that no creative device was detected and it couldn't nstall the drivers?

I have tried changing slots (only 2 on the Ultra-D) and niether one will work? Is there some secret BIOS setting I am missing? I have tried to set to optimized defaults thinking that maybe I am drawing too much juice with the OC but still no luck.

Please help me...!!

I am back to using the Karajan audio, and it sucks :sad:

Oh yeah, it is an Audigy 4 if that helps, and I have also tried an Audigy LS with same problems....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres whatcha do, remove the card, clear the bios (jumper 2/3) start into xp, shutdown. Then set bios normal do a circuit drain

1) Have a PS/2 keyboard in your system

2) Put one RAM module in the orange slot farthest from the CPU

3) Turn your PSU off, or remove power cable

4) Have your mobo speaker jumper to the on setting

5) Remove your CMOS battery, located in bottom right of mobo, looks like a watch battery (it takes a few minutes)

6) Set the CMOS jumper to clear

7) Hold the start button on the motherboard for 5 seconds, then release

8) Wait 5 minutes

9) Set the CMOS jumper back to normal

10) Pop the battery back in

11) Hold down the insert key on your PS/2 keyboard

12) While holding down the insert key plug your power cord back in or switch the PSU

back on

13) Once your system beeps start tapping the DEL key

14) Load the optimized defaults

15) Save and restart

16) DO NOT LOAD ANYTHING from your CMOS reloaded after you drain your power

start xp, shutdown, remove the cmos battery, put pci card in, set the bios jumer to 2/3, turn on (bios will be cleared), set back to 1/2, now you should be good.

Please tell me someone else has an idea? I really don't know what else to do. Never installed a PCI device on this board before (fairly new MB) so don't know if any other PCI devices work. All I have tried is these two sound cards (both Audigy, both Sound Blaster).

I have searched the forums up and down and the only problem I see when I come acrost a post about Sound Blaster problems has to do with conflicts, or drivers, but it seams that no one else is having trouble getting it to detect in Windows.

Any more ideas...please.... :confused:

I don't want to try a different BIOS becaus I don't want to lose my save config. Just being lazy :rolleyes:

Could this be a problem? I am running the 623-1 because it works the best with my RAM,

I have the Creative SB Live! 5.1 Digital and it's not detected by my system either.

Trying to install the drivers I also got the same message "no creative device was detected and it couldn't nstall the drivers".

In the end I downloaded the "Sound Blaster Live! - LiveDrvUni-Pack (English)" from the Creative site. So the card works now but I'm missing all the extras.

Link : http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/d...=25&Image4.y=10

Hope this helps.

I have the Creative SB Live! 5.1 Digital and it's not detected by my system either.

Trying to install the drivers I also got the same message "no creative device was detected and it couldn't nstall the drivers".

In the end I downloaded the "Sound Blaster Live! - LiveDrvUni-Pack (English)" from the Creative site. So the card works now but I'm missing all the extras.

Link : http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/d...=25&Image4.y=10

Hope this helps.

Thanks!! Good to hear someone else having the same problem. I was a little worried there :sweat:

I am DL'n the driver now and will try it when I get home from work.

....Will post back after the drivers are installed...wish me luck :D

Did you disable the onboard audio in BIOS prior to attempting installation of the Audigy card. If not I'd try the following.

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the Realtek audio drivers.

2. Power down p/c and remove the Karajan module.

3. Power back up and enter BIOS, disable onboard sound.

4. Before exiting BIOS navigate to and select clear ECSD, then reboot into safe mode.

5. Search your hard drive for any Realtek files and manually delete (make sure that in folder options you have checked "show hidden files and folders" and unchecked "hide protected operating system files".

6. Use regedit and search and delete any Realtek entries in your registry (alternately you can use a registry cleaning program such as Registry Mechanic).

7. Turn off computer and install Audigy.

8. Reboot computer and see if Windows detects new audio device.

9. If it does go ahead and install Creative's drivers, reboot, enter BIOS and disable clear ECSD and you should be all set.

10. If Windows doesn't detect the Audigy you are going to have to assume that you got a bum sound card that needs RMA.

11. The last thing I would suspect would be two faulty PCI slots on the m/b.

Luck

Did you disable the onboard audio in BIOS prior to attempting installation of the Audigy card. If not I'd try the following.

1. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall the Realtek audio drivers.

2. Power down p/c and remove the Karajan module.

3. Power back up and enter BIOS, disable onboard sound.

4. Before exiting BIOS navigate to and select clear ECSD, then reboot into safe mode.

5. Search your hard drive for any Realtek files and manually delete (make sure that in folder options you have checked "show hidden files and folders" and unchecked "hide protected operating system files".

6. Use regedit and search and delete any Realtek entries in your registry (alternately you can use a registry cleaning program such as Registry Mechanic).

7. Turn off computer and install Audigy.

8. Reboot computer and see if Windows detects new audio device.

9. If it does go ahead and install Creative's drivers, reboot, enter BIOS and disable clear ECSD and you should be all set.

10. If Windows doesn't detect the Audigy you are going to have to assume that you got a bum sound card that needs RMA.

11. The last thing I would suspect would be two faulty PCI slots on the m/b.

Luck

I have done steps 1-4. Have not tried to see if there is any realtek files lingering though. Just un-installed, didn't check registry ect.

Will try booting into safe mode and see what I find.

And it seems odd that two different sound card would have the same problems? I don't think it's a bum sound card, but anything is possible...I'd rather it be a bum sound card than bad PCI slots :sweat:

OK....I have done all of the suggestions you guys have made to no avail...Any further ideas?? I just went and exchanged the current card for another with same symptoms. :confused:

I don't really know what to do next?

I have turned off onboard sound, un-installed realtek drivers/files, cleaned registry and other remnance from realtek, reset BIOS (removed battery, and changed jumper for aprox. 1 hour) and then installed the card. Windows did not detect. Cleared ECSD, same thing.

Flashed with new BIOS and loaded optimized and still same problems. Tried both PCI slots at every step........I'm going crazy!! :shake:

At this point it looks like bad PCI on board, seems wierd but I don't see what else it could be....

@ affebaffe

I tried to install the drivers I downloaded from creatives site and get the same error of "no creative device was detected and it couldn't nstall the drivers".

Is there some other trick you did to get it to work, or did you just run the driver installer?