Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ryn_merged

Replacing RAM

Guest Ryn

I'll be swithich to a 2GB DC Kit on the next day or so, probably a Samsung UCCC. How do I replace my ram properly? Do I have to reset the cmos? My current RAM is a BH5 running at 218MHz 2-2-2-5 @ 2.96V.

TIA!

What I usually do is clear the CMOS, boot, load optimized defaults save and exit. Shut down.

Remove old RAM.

Install one stick of new RAM, (I have OCZ GX XTC UCCC's) boot, enter bios, load optimized defaults, save exit shutdown.

Install second stick. Boot into bios, configure all settings. Save and exit, reboot, be happy :)

Guest Ryn

Thanks bro! That's the ram that I might purchase (OCZ GX XTC). Do you think I should use the same BIOS as yours or just stick with 12/07?

i personally wouldnt load optimized defaults before shutting down and installing new ram as the bios mite be trying to run the spd settings for the old ram which may cause problems,

instead i would clear cmos and then install the ram, u can install both sticks at once if u like but doing one at a time can be the safer option for reliable posting, altho i have never had a problem with these nf4's not posting apart from trying to run crazy timings so i just take the short route and slap both in and power it up.

if u get any problems, then test each stick on its own.

One thing is for sure...if you keep the same settings for your BH-5 you risk frying your new memory !

:-)

So just load optmized defaults before you remove the old ram and the put the new ram in...

About the BIOS...I'd not change it unless you're having problems with the new setup....

cheers

One thing is for sure...if you keep the same settings for your BH-5 you risk frying your new memory !

:-)

thats wat was worrying me, but "if" the current bh-5 normally runs at 2-2-2-5 by spd then surely loading optimised defaults keep the bios mem settings at 2-2-2-5 but with lower frequency and less juice.

by clearing the cmos it will read the new spd settings for the new ram on boot would it not?

Guest Ryn

I'm getting a bit confused here, but logically speaking I think what tom_johnson said is correct. Any other comments?

Ahhh what he said may be true. Im just used to Tony OCZ's BIOS which defaults to really really loose timings when you load optimized defaults. Ive tried four different sets of RAM with this BIOS and Load Optimized always defaults to these really loose timings. Thanks guys for pointing that out.