Sign in to follow this  
Kaedan94

OCZ Powerstream 520W

Anyone had problems with this power supply just spontaneously dying? I shut down my computer earlier this afternoon then when I got home 5 hours later I go to turn on my computer and nothing happened. Did some testing with my old power supply (hooked up the old power supply main power connector to the new motherboard and motherboard power LED came on, also hooked up the OCZ power connector to the old motherboard and power LED did not come on) and have determined it's the problem and is completely dead. I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had to RMA their Powerstream 520W before, if this is a common thing. Also, any suggestions on a alternative PSU?

I just ordered one last week, besides the point it's a very solid PSU for these DFI boards. Either check your rail amps in the back of the PSU or might gotten a defect from where you bought it. How long have you had it and was your system overclocked?

Had it since beginning of March, and no, my system was not overclocked yet. I can't check the rails cause it doesn't power up at all, no lights, no nothing. I've tried different outlets, different power cables, everything. I did notice I installed it upside-down, but that has never mattered with any of my other power supplies and shouldn't matter with this one I don't think.

There are three lights on the back of the psu, above the lights are 3 things you can turn. Those are the things that adjust the rails thats what Mack27 was talking about. If you did not touch this then there should be a warning sticker covering them.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

that psu is like 180-200$ in canada, once i get money :) :) i may even go sli or upgrade cards

Anyone had problems with this power supply just spontaneously dying? I shut down my computer earlier this afternoon then when I got home 5 hours later I go to turn on my computer and nothing happened. Did some testing with my old power supply (hooked up the old power supply main power connector to the new motherboard and motherboard power LED came on, also hooked up the OCZ power connector to the old motherboard and power LED did not come on) and have determined it's the problem and is completely dead. I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had to RMA their Powerstream 520W before, if this is a common thing. Also, any suggestions on a alternative PSU?
Hello,

Leave the PSU disconnected from everything (wall, mobo, etc) for at least 3 hours...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple fans or a hard drive to a molex connector to provide a load.

Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back to On.......the PSU should start up and run....Now remove the paperclip and it should shut off.....try this 2-3 times.........does it start every time?

Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5577

Let me know what happens,

You can email me directly with the link in my Sig.

Thanks

silly question is teh power switch in the on position?

I have done this more than once:)and freaked because I thought I had a dead computer...

Hello,

Leave the PSU disconnected from everything (wall, mobo, etc) for at least 3 hours...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple fans or a hard drive to a molex connector to provide a load.

Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back to On.......the PSU should start up and run....Now remove the paperclip and it should shut off.....try this 2-3 times.........does it start every time?

Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5577

Let me know what happens,

You can email me directly with the link in my Sig.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I got no response from the PSU after taking the steps listed above. I had it plugged into my SATA drive to test it. I'm fairly sure it's just completely dead. I'm gonna try again tomorrow prolly just to triple check.

Another issue may be the 115v and 230v switch.

Had it happen to me once long long ago when I got a pc setup for 230v ^^.

It won't turn on if it's setup wrong lol.

That happened to me a long, long time ago too.

But, I really doubt it applies to the OP's particular situation considering his system was working fine previously.

Another issue may be the 115v and 230v switch.

Had it happen to me once long long ago when I got a pc setup for 230v ^^.

It won't turn on if it's setup wrong lol.

Guest YuKoN

may sound kinda silly- but have you checked the fuse? if it's blown it may be indicative of a more serious issue with the power supply itself. strange that it worked while running, and quit when off. i had a similar issue with one power supply that had a bad fan that shorted out. replaced the fan and it worked until i got a suitable replacement.