Really Weird Problem With Laptop

ClayMeow

Okay, i'm at my friend's house right now. He's home on break and brought his practically brand new laptop, Toshiba Portege R100(something or other). Right now it's about a month old, but this problem occurred after just one week.

The problem can be viewed in the picture below (that very odd looking line). I don't know exactly how LCD screens work, nor does he, but it appears that the pixels that are within line are somehow reflecting pixels below them. It's like, if pixels were programmed as to what it's supposed to show, these particular pixels have somehow been corrupted to capture what the pixels below them show. Now, i realize this is confusing, and that is mostly because i am talking out of my .. What's odd, is if you take the mouse and move it about an inch below the line, you can actually see the moust also moving within this odd line.

My friend thinks it's a "temporal rift" ;)

Please, if anyone has any idea what the hell this is, or any idea of what would cause such a thing, please let us know. He did NOT drop it or do anything bad to it.

Hi, I'm Claymeow's friend and I am the owner of this laptop. Any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. I brought it to the ITS at my school and they had no idea what it was and actually thought that I had dropped the laptop. I literally shut the computer off, went from one class to another, turned it on and the line appeared and unfortunately hasn't left. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. :withstupid:

creased the screen. something most likely put preasure on the back side of it and caused it. you're looking at a LOT of $$$ to have it fixed. I'd suggest ebay or something along those lines to see if you can find a screen on your own and install it yourself (or claymeow, he seems to know what he's doing)

doubtful that toshiba or any other mfgr will repair that for free. they see things like that as abuse not regular wear and tear or mfgr defects :( Wish him luck cuz I'm sure he's going to have to argue with them. I'm toshiba certified because we were a authorized repair center at compusa... and I can tell you that one should cost him in the ball park of $600+ if he can't prove it just did that. the part that creases is not the outter part of the screen (the plastic covering, it's the inner soft part of the LCD :( )

ECS and Asus sell barebones laptop kits. only thing is they're HUGE and HEAVY. You just add in your choice of cpu, ram, hard drive and away you go. only downside to them other than their mass is cost. a custom lappy can cost you 1 1/2 times what a prebuilt toshiba does.

BTW the screens aren't that hard to put in a toshiba... but they gouge you on labor in addition to the parts... this is the reason my laptops come from compusa with the "screen protection plan". they will REPLACE the laptop if you buy that and manage to bust the screen...

Edited by bigred

Well, Big Red I'm attending law school JUST for this very reason. I bought my laptop and the warranty because, to be blunt, I don't trust laptops. And that is putting it mildly. The warranty supposedly covers everything, I think even if I drop it, so if they give me an argument it's going to have to be a very creative one. The problem as I see it is also whether or not they think it was caused by regular wear and tear, because I know it was regular wear and tear. At the very least this means it's possible for this type of damage to occur during wear and tear and the burden is on them to prove otherwise, not on me to show that it was regular wear and tear. That's how I read the contract anyway. So we'll see, but I really do believe a one month old laptop should not be having this problem and I am very much prepared to argue. Thanks for your help.

Big Red,

Just to be clear, I ordered the three year system guard "worldwide limited warranty" but now I'm concerned because it says limited warranty and not extended warranty - although I'm almost positive I ordered the extended which means this could potentially be ANOTHER problem. However, on my receipt it labels the warranty as "3 years of System Guard." Let me know what you think. Thanks.

They'll cover it under warrenty, I bought a compaq laptop and it had a similair thing happen to the screen sort of, it got a whole row of dead pixel all at once, we sent it in and they replaced the screen. If you didn't do anythign to bring this problem on such as poking the screen or doing some thing stupid then you shouldn't have a problem. I would just call toshiba.

reminds me of when my dad RAN over his laptop lol. Hope you can get it sorted out.

LOL :lol:

thanks for helping out my friend everyone, and a special thanks to bigred for all his help. One of us will let you know what happens on monday. I'll be going with him to toshiba to sort this out, so fingers crossed. thanks again.