Sign in to follow this  
RPLavatar

[RESOLVED] ONE MORE REASON TO KEEP FLOPPY>> BIOS Corrupted durin

:confused: Ok so I built the system in the sig and fired it up yesterday. All looked great at first. I had a normal POST and all hardware was detected properly. I then went into the BIOS, and the only thing that I changed from the default was to turn on the SLI and disable the floppy drive as I dont have one. I then partitioned and formated the drive and began the windows installation. I had a couple of errors writing files and then started getting page fault errors in a non page area. So I figured well I should update the BIOS and then make sure that the memory timings are correct rather than just accepting the auto settings. Since I dont have a floppy drive installed, I consulted these forums and found T-Mod's CD flash utility and downloaded and burned it to a cd. I then proceeded to flash the bios to the 12/07 ver. This is where the fun begins. During the flash process on sector produced an error and now when I boot I am getting CMOS checksum errors indicating that the BIOS is corrupted. Now I have started the troubleshooting process and pulled the extra video card and the other stick o ram from slot 4 , moved the jumper to clear the cmos and removed the battery and let it sit for an hour or 2. After replacing the battery and moving the jumper back I boot to the same issue constant repeating beep and the screen says :

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting Floppy drive media

Drive A error system halt

I am thinking that I need to scrounge up a floppy drive and reflash the BIOS that way. Any other suggestions?

Yeah, try the floppy Diamond Flash.

i had the same problem with my nf3 rig....the floppy was the only thing that saved me

u might be lucky and save your mobo

good luck

My cheap-S compusa fd never did fail me with all my boards, and its usb, easy to put away when not needed, easy to use plugging in my laptop to DL bios when needed. Also handy when you want to run dianostics on HDD's. :nod:

Thank goodness that I didnt recycle that old P3 in the closet!! The floppy drive did the trick and I am back to where I was last night but with updated BIOS. DFI's Diamond flash did the trick quickly and painlessly. Hopefully I will get some gaming in on the new rig this weekend ;)

Glad to hear that, now its time to OC that X2, you don't want to waste the liquid cooling, LOL, he he he. :nod: