Sign in to follow this  
Behemoth

Dual channel aint working

This ram has caused me a lot of problems but finally i got each one to work at ddr580 anyway they both work fine when i run only one stick of ram in the 2nd orange slot but if I try and run them both then i get a bsod during windows startup, ive tried running them in 2T and 1T but the same thing happens. Is there any other settings that affect dual channel, thanks.

Dual channel happens automatically. There is no setting to turn it on/off. Are you using only the orange slots? If you use orange and yellow, you won't get dual channel.

Originally Posted by RGone

Yellow slots ain't dead. Get that out of the way.

Arrangement of memory in an NF4 dual channel 939 motherboard by DFI. (not including the cheaper Infinity series).

May use one stick in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu. It will be single channel.

Sometimes may use one stick in the Orange and the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu. It will be two stick single channel.

Never can use single stick in Orange slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

Never can use single stick in Yellow slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

In order to use memory in dual channel which is what the memory controller in the processor expects; you should FIRST put sticks in the Orange slots. This will be true for greater than 90% of ALL memories.

You may put memory in the Orange slots and run dual channel BUT you cannot put three (3) sticks of memory in the board and have it work.

Basically 1 stick Orange slot.

2 sticks using both Orange slots.

4 sticks using Orange and Yellow slots with attention to details of memory configuration settings in bios.

Those actually are the only valid memory stick combinations. Except sometimes two sticks in the Orange and Yellow slots furtherest from cpu will work as single channel only.

RGone...

EDIT: Have run 4x1gig with these good sticks and no problems when I setup the bios correctly. http://www.ocztechnology.com/produc...gb_dual_channel END EDIT.

dual channel problems are mainly caused by cpu problems. reseating the cpu sometimes fixes the problem or you will have to run the ram @400ddr on a divider if you are overclocking the cpu.use the orange slots,also i used just the yellow slots before and daul channel still worked.

Im not trying to overclock my ram as it by default is rated at ddr600 the thing is they both work at ddr580 but they dont work when they are in together, so why is this????

Im not trying to overclock my ram as it by default is rated at ddr600 the thing is they both work at ddr580 but they dont work when they are in together, so why is this????

True, the ram is rated that high, but is the on die memory controller? Not to my knowledge.

well it works at that speed because as ive said i can run them fine when there is only one stick of ram running as this is at ddr580 and they pass prime and memtest which have both been run for 10 hours, so I cant figure out why i cant run them at the same time.

To clarify, the point Lunchbox is making is this:

Running more than one stick of ram in an A64 system naturally puts more stress on the memory controller in your processor. These memory controllers are rated for DDR400 (and no more). It is therefore POSSIBLE that while your sticks run fine individually at DDR580, your CPUs memory controller is incapable of handling the additional stress caused by running two of these sticks simultaneously at such high clocks.

Ofcourse this is a quite defeatist and Id recommend you continue tweaking, hopefully everything will work out for the best. But it is possible that your CPU just cant handle two sticks at that speed.

Note: this is the same reason its a bad idea to use all 4 slots. Running 4 sticks of ram in an A64 system rarely works out that well, usual outcome being a serious drop in bandwidth (running at 2T).