Sign in to follow this  
zarathrustra

San Diego is actually Toledo

Does anyone know about these new revision A64 3700+ San Diego's actually being Toledo cores with one core being deativated ?

I'm pretty sure this is what mine is, and its pretty hard to find any info on this.

I'm also thinking this may be why no matter what I try, I can't get the thing to clock stabally at 2750 or beyond, even at nice(ish) temps.

All the stepping and revision info is in the attachment.

Any input is much appreciated, Cheers Guys.

zarathrustra

unfortunatly, no

just like the manchesters/toledo disabled ...

don't have that one but would like to play ;)

'hurts fingers on faucet'....have looked ...no joy

4400+ ...sweet spot 2750...p/s hold back....

be happy :)

what does your CPU-Z show?

mine shows San Diego but it wont go above 2700mhz at all even with temps that should be OK. wasnt sure if it was a lower-quality chip or if something else was going on.

I know AMD sells Manchester with one faulty core as Venice and Toledo as San Diego. Or to be precise, AMD sells them as what they are and shops doesnt know what they really are and list them as Venice/Sa Diego. They are both poor overclockers as far as I have seen, and t be avoided.

You guys are saying that AMD sells faulty dual core CPUs (only one core working) as single-core CPUs? Sounds like illegal business practices to me, where did you guys get that info from?

Hi - i read about AMD doing a similar thing with there CPU's dual cores - but from what i read and understand is - when the demand for a certain core is high and there are more dual cores made than needed - some perform great and some less than

so the less thans are used as single cores -

what they name them - i dont know - but i would think that even though someone ends up with a dual core thats been made to run single core - i believe its still up to specs for that single core chip -

i am not sure if that hurts the speed or the CPU because of that - or if it limits its OC --

and theres really no way of finding out if your CPU is that way - just like i have no idea how great my CPU is out of a batch of 1,000s made at a time

i wouldnt worry about it too much - just try to set it up the best it can run and test it - i bet it would work just as good as any other same type CPU

but i know how you feel if in fact -- you feel like you ended up with a lower CPU then you could have had -

someone with the same x2 4200+ like mines and similar system gave me his settings and my computer dosnt even boot -- i am now working on finding my sweet spot - i hope its at least 2.5 and if i can get 2.7 thats great

now its running 2.450 - so far so good - 6 hours testing --

if there is anyway to find out - would be nice to know -

I know AMD sells Manchester with one faulty core as Venice and Toledo as San Diego. Or to be precise, AMD sells them as what they are and shops doesnt know what they really are and list them as Venice/Sa Diego. They are both poor overclockers as far as I have seen, and t be avoided.

You do? :confused:

I fine this very hard to believe!

Please check out this Thread I just started, I have a Venice with a weird stepping, I can't find any info anywhere about it, maybe I got one of those crap dual cores????

i really dont know much about how to find out excatly what CPU you have or how i can figure out about mines - maybe you can start from stratch and slowly work up again - testing as you go

thats what i am doing now - at first i couldnt get 10x250 -- which i like to get stable -

but i am at 223x11 now at 2.450

running sp2400 stress test for over 6 hours

still running and so far - so good --

and i have everything set at stock in the bios besides the memory timing set for stock ddr500

temps are pretty good too - my room is cool today

cpu - 41

pwmic - 46

chip -42

i can live with those temps --

You guys are saying that AMD sells faulty dual core CPUs (only one core working) as single-core CPUs? Sounds like illegal business practices to me, where did you guys get that info from?

It wouldn't be the first time. The 486sx was just a 486dx chip where the co-processor was bad, so intel disabled it and sold it for less.