Sign in to follow this  
BigWhitey

Is my PS not sufficient?

My PC reboots constantly for no reason, even when just in BIOS (so I ruled out driver issues). I have disabled windows auto restart in XP.

My case has temperature readings on the front.

My CPU lists 25 C (never seen it fluctuate)

HD 37 C (fluctuates)

It's a 420Watt PS, you'd think it'd be enough. However the person I bought the motherboard from warned me that the PS might fail under a load of 2 HDs and 2 CDROM drives.

Is there a utility that can check the temp of my CPU?

Is my PS not sufficient?

Is there some sort of voltage settings in the BIOS that can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Google and download "Motherboard Monitor 5" it will tell you temps and voltages and you can make some educated guesses there.

Are you overclocked at these settings at all?

I already have downloaded and installed MDM 5.

However, I don't see my board revision in the drop down list of DFI supported boards. Mine is 661FX-TML. Is there a different name for it that would MDM is looking for.

Or, a different utility. I have SpeedFan loaded too, but it doesn't support the Motherboard/CPU either, so I can't tell the temperature. I suspect the CPU temp sensor in the case isn't working as it always says 25 C, the HD temp sensor fluctuates.

Where is the best place to attach the case CPU temp sensor (specifically, like "in the thermal paste, etc)?

And, No, I don't do ANY overclocking.

Gah, rebooted again. I unplugged everything but the (1) SATA drive. I've seen some poor reviews about this PS, but this is ridiculas to think that (1) Hard drive would cause too much load to make the PC reboot as if a power failure.

*Edit*

Ok, I've removed stock Intel heatsink and fan and installed a:

Thermaltake Jungle 512/Socket 775 CPU Cooler

More airflow in the box than a wind tunnel now, but at least the CPU temp lead is reporting back now 12 C. Seems to low to be possible. Hopefully, someone can point me to a application whihc will work for my board which I can cross-check the temp reading with.

Thanks.

hi - if i were you - your just driving your self crazy with the bios too much -- you have to have the right up to spec PSU and other parts --

you can go on for ever trying to play around -

try a recommended PSU and take it from there -

if you have one you can try from a friends - would be best so you dont spend money for nothing -

but either way - you should run a recommended PSU anyway to rule that out now and in the future

I'm thinking PS is the problem too. There are many negative reviews my PS. One of the problems I face though is finding a PS that isn't too long (the Aspire PS is a little smaller so one can fit optical drives in the case too).

I've done a bit of research and it seems that the Enermax PS is a little smaller too and gets good reviews.

Question #1: will my DFI mobo support a ATX12V Ver 2.2 PS ?

Question #2: What does SLI refer to ?

Question #3: Based on the load I want, (2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 1 floppy drive, onboard video & sound) do you think 400W or the 500W would be sufficient?

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_...&products_id=81

or

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_...&products_id=83

Thank you in advance, you are very helpful.

My PC reboots constantly for no reason, even when just in BIOS (so I ruled out driver issues).

Could be caused by a grounding issue. A freind of mine recently built a PC and experienced similar issues; after reseating the MB in the case (taking it out and reinstalling it), the problem was solved.

Question #1: will my DFI mobo support a ATX12V Ver 2.2 PS ?

The PSUs you listed have 20+4pin MB connectors; thus they are compatible with MBs requiring EITHER a 20pin (older MBs) or a 24pin (newer MBs) power connector.

Question #2: What does SLI refer to ?

Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is nVidia's implementation of dual GFX cards (used for hardcore gaming; allows higher framerates by splitting the load between two GPUs).

All current high end GFX cards have dedicated power connectors since they require more power than can be delivered over the PCI-E bus (current high-end systems use the PCI-E bus rather than the older generation AGP bus).

The fact that a PSU supports PCI-E SLI power means that it has 2 power connectors for PCI-E GFX cards (i.e. allowing 2 GFX cards operating in SLI mode).

Question #3: Based on the load I want, (2 hard drives, 2 optical drives, 1 floppy drive, onboard video & sound) do you think 400W or the 500W would be sufficient?

The 400W should be sufficient; however DFI now reccomends a minimum 480W PSU. Additionally, the 500W would be more future-proof allowing upgrades to be performed later.

if your going to buy a new psu at this point and you are going to run SLI -- i would get more than 400W

i rather have overkill than have it give me problems

thats my opinion - i build my system in my sig and it all started because a friend gave me a case with psu also for free - then i got excited and searched for parts - and learning about PSU and all the new cards etc. all the fans - and everything - take alot more power now - i didnt feel good about using the new PSU in the new case i was given because of that - you invest alot in all the other parts -

dont by pass the PSU --

but if you feel it would work and you dont run SLI

maybe it will and your be fine -

OCZ, Enermax, Seasonic and Fortron are the best companies when it comes to PSUs...at this point in time with CPUs and Graphic cards drawing more and more power....I wouldn't go with anything less than 500w, better to be safe than sorry