Sign in to follow this  
Sevaris

Activate

I had a similar problem. Where it asked me to activate my version of windows even though I should have had 30 days left of the trial. A possible reason for your problem, is that windows may have synchronised its time online with one of the websites it synchronises with. Therefore the time changed and possibly caused windows to require to be activated.

If you go into the clock on the bottom right of the screen and click on the Internet Time tab, you will see the time synchronisation tool. There should also be a message on there stating when the last time windows synchronised itself online. Maybe this will help you.

Even if not, it should be no big deal, as you should just be able to enter the activation code for windows. If windows then asks to be activated again at a later point, then you will likely have a problem, if not just forget about it.

Its an OEM version, so chances are they will give me the cold shoulder. I will try if it happens again.

License mode doesn't matter. As long as it's valid, they will help.

I had a similar problem. Where it asked me to activate my version of windows even though I should have had 30 days left of the trial. A possible reason for your problem, is that windows may have synchronised its time online with one of the websites it synchronises with. Therefore the time changed and possibly caused windows to require to be activated.

If you go into the clock on the bottom right of the screen and click on the Internet Time tab, you will see the time synchronisation tool. There should also be a message on there stating when the last time windows synchronised itself online. Maybe this will help you.

Even if not, it should be no big deal, as you should just be able to enter the activation code for windows. If windows then asks to be activated again at a later point, then you will likely have a problem, if not just forget about it.

The message just repeats. If I say go ahead and activate, then even if it activates it wont go into windows, the msg will just repeat.

On another note, after formatting, I activated windows, and was told that my activation key has been used to many times. The hits just keep on coming, hehe. Luckily I have a few copies of Win XP. I am updating right now, but I will be surprised if my comp stays usable for more than 30 minutes.

Hopefully you do not take offence, but I think I know your problem. Microsoft keep a count of how many times each individual serial key is used to activate windows. Therefore if the serial key is released on the internet, lots of people will use the key to activate windows, the Microsoft counter increases to a very high number, and past a certain reasonable boundary, Microsoft say "this key has been used so many times to activate windows it is unlikely that one person alone is using it, therefore we will not allow it to activate our software".

And due to the fact you have just said that you have many versions of windows, I'm leaning in the direction of illegal software.

If I'm wrong I apologise, but the number of times the serial keys are alowed to activate windows is high enough, that it would take douzens of times to exceed the activation limit. So you must format your hard drives monthly to exceed the limit, or it is an illegal serial key.

As to your first problem, and the 30 day trial ended on the first day, see my first post.

The number of times you can activate in a certain period of time over the internet is quite low, especially for OEM (my copy of MCE is once every 6 months). Just go through the procedure then phone them when it fails, they ask you if you've installed it on another computer, you say no and they give you a huge activation number.

Ye I have been through that procedure. All of my copies are legal though, I just have 4 copies of XP Pro for my various computers. The one that was installed on this computer, and only on this computer, is the one that said it was activated too many times, hehe. I know its no big deal, I have called them before when I had to go through 4 motherboards, just another annoyance added to the stack. I know its due to the pile of times I have had to format; I activate it so that I can do the updates.

But this insistance to authorize windows before logon, on the same day that I have installed it is a whole different issue. As I said earlier, it will happen even when windows has already been activated, no CMOS reset, clock is correct, etc. Ye I figure I will call them if it happens again, but I still want to find the source of the problem if it is hardware related. For instance I know that these Maxtor drives have had issues, so maybe its some sort of corruption. Or it could be the nvidia raid drivers somehow. Or possibly linked to the IRQ conflict. WHen I do get it resolved I will be sure to let everyone know the resolution so that no one else has to go through this pain.

I may be wrong, but unless a Microsoft spokesperson comes on here and tells us exactly how many times it is allowed, I would stick with it being a fairly high number. Remember Microsoft have to take into account people such as Angry_Games who may format their hard drives on a regular basis because they are forced to due to their jobs testing hardware configurations. Other people may just like formating and clearing out errors and viruses. It must be reasonably high, so ?.

However if it is causing problems, again contact Microsoft and they will sort it out.

I bought a previously unactivated OEM version of XP PRO at Fry's for 89.00 (great deal). The first time I installed it, it activated fine. About two weeks later I decided to go back to RAID and reformatted, The second time I installed, it said I had exceeded the activations and had to call. So I called MS in India and spoke with someone who sounded like he really didn't enjoy his job and he gave me an activation key.

I bought a previously unactivated OEM version of XP PRO at Fry's for 89.00 (great deal). The first time I installed it, it activated fine. About two weeks later I decided to go back to RAID and reformatted, The second time I installed, it said I had exceeded the activations and had to call. So I called MS in India and spoke with someone who sounded like he really didn't enjoy his job and he gave me an activation key.
I went the same route as you. Since then I have reinstalled it (no call to india this time) with no problems. And yes, He wasen't having a very good day, probably tired of listening to us Yanks bitchen! :rolleyes:

lol, yes I called India once, and this guy answered, "Hello my name is Kevin" in an extremely strong accent. Needless to say I was thrown off a bit. I still laugh about it now.

Maybe I am wrong, and windows can't be activated very often, but I've never had any problems with it. Maybe I have a different version.

Yes if you are having problems with windows and activating then reinstall in only takes 5 times on regular versions of windows if you upgrade often you can see where you could have a problem quickly.

It is very possable that you activated before updating bios then windows updated the time automaticly that is part of the fun you just need to call windows. I have had that problem before. I delay activation untill the last moment and stress test everything fist to avoid going over the limit.

Look at the overclocking or database on how you can test stability. Memtest and prime stable would be the first and most inportant tests. Hard drives are another potental problem plenty of tess out there to make sure they are solid and keep a fan on them heat is one of the biggest causes of failure for them. If memory serves you need a intel rig to flash the maxtor bios so dont be too suprised if you can not run the maxtor utility- one of the reasons maxtor is not recomended it is a shame they are great drives for the intel rigs and AMD with the right bios.

For