Sign in to follow this  
Sevaris

Activate

Ok, I have no clue what is going on, but my comp reset then when it was booting back up and going into windows, this error message pops up saying "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft beforeyou can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?" First of all, I just installed windows today, so I had 30 days left to activate. 2ndly this isn't the first time it has happened. It happened right before my computer went bad a few months ago and I had to RMA my mb and my psu. I had already activated windows then, so I told it to go ahead and activate it (again) and it wouldn't activate it would keep giving some other random error. So, here it is asking me again. What in the world could be causing this? Could it be some sort of HD corruption? I am already having trouble with other things, now this issue is coming back to haunt me. I am a sad sad person.

did you do a CMOS clear? that would have reset your date & time, thus triggering windows to ask for activation...

did you do a fresh install of windows with your new mobo & power supply?

Ye it was a fresh install. No, I didn't reset the CMOS. My comp just reset at random, then when it was booting up came up with this junk. I was reading something on M$'s website that seemed similar to this, but the registry items they want me to find don't exist, so I don't think its the same problem.

Edit: Forgot to add that I can only get into windows now by safe mode.

Is it possible that it is caused by some error with the RAID? Or could it be my Maxtor Diamondmax 10's, b/c I read ppl have problems with them; some sorta detection issue, but this whole activate windows crap is crazy.

Lol, their diagnostic tool won't work. It locks up when it starts scanning for Drives. Sigh, I guess that figures with how everything is going right now.

That firmware is for the wrong version of the drive btw. Mine is a 6B and that is for a 6V. You know where to get the 6V firmware?

OEM won't matter. Once the rig is up you will have to call and answer the questions. No big deal!

Its an OEM version, so chances are they will give me the cold shoulder. I will try if it happens again.