Sign in to follow this  
tranceaddict

How accurate are the BIOS readings?

Guest Synchronize

Why are you worried? is the system unstable? If everything is stable i wouldn't worry too much, also i think that the readings for your rails are most likely incorrect and the only way to be sure is to buy a DMM. You can pick them up for quite cheap. The 12v rail on my system was being reported below 12 aswell, but was spot on 12 and slightly above when measured with DMM.

Make sure you update the BIOS first. THe temps are ok, but what it sounds like is your PSU may be going bad, I can see that it is compatible so what you may need to do is RMA your PSU for a new one. As well it isnt the highest of quality PSU , so the rails arent going to be 100% stable, the OCZ powerstream have adjustable rails to make sure your PSU will be stable.

How do you see that his PSU is going bad from 3 readings that are marginal at best?

Use a multimeter to get accurate voltage measurements.

Out of curiosity, can the voltages in the BIOS be trusted, or are they often wrong. Also just how accurate should the voltages by, what percentage of difference is acceptable.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your input. It is a new build and there are tons of little problems. It is bad enough that my case shipped with a DOA LCD Temp display, and then the PSU under reported voltage. I will buy a DMM in the next day or two and check it for my self. As far as instabilty, I have no problems so far. I was just thrown off by my numbers.

P.S I would really appreciate if someone can point me to a link on how to measure voltage with DMM, as I have no clue and never used one before. Thanks