Sign in to follow this  
tdk2999

which motherboard to pick

Can't quite decide which of the lanparty nf4 mobo to pick. Don't care much about Raid, want SLI even though probably won't be able to afford another GPU for quite some time. So which board to pick? Honestly, I don't see much difference between SLI-D, SLI-DR & SLI-DR Expert. They all support dual core right? Thanks.

Hi tdk,

What will you be using your rig for?

If purely gaming I'd say the SLI-D. If overclocking then the Expert, if mainly gaming with some overclocking then the SLI-DR.

Thanks for the reply. Mostly for gaming, do plan to Overclock to at least 2.6ghz. I take it that DR better for OC, and Expert for extreme OC?

Actually the ULtra D overclocks well and can be modded to SLI in about half an hour if you don't mind taking an Exacto knife to your board. If you don't need 8 hard drive serial ports and 3 PCI slots, you can save some $$$.

Who needs eight serial hard drives anyway?

I do not if Expert can oc as exterme as they say. I wouldnt think there is any *significant* difference of ocing between ultra-D and Expert. Plus expert has a serious temp sensing issue. The extreme of the oc depends on the cpu you get. If you get a better stepping, you can go to that extreme. if your cpu is not a lucky one, then it doesnt matter you have a expert, thats the limit. Anyway if you are not gonna oc for the extrme (I mean trying very high voltages and try to squeeze out all of the cpu), I owuld recommend a ultra-D.. you can always mod it to a SLi (I hope you can still do this).. othersie SLI-DR would be good enough..

best advice i can give: look in the For Sale section on dfi-street. people are constantly selling their Ultra-D modded to SLI boards for $100 cuz they are switching to Expert boards.

In my experience at work, we've reached the same OC's on SLI-D/DR/Expert models EXCEPT with 3700+ and 4000+ which yielded about 150mhz higher oc that the SLI-DR.

All of the Opterons oc'ed to the same, as well as 3000+/3200/3500/X2's.

And of course FX procs dont really oc so much anyways (never tried oc'ing one myself).

hope this helps at all.

cz

p.s. Conclusion: get the modded Ultra-D for $100. great price, similar oc'ing, and I personally like the 623-3 and 704-2bta bioses for it.

p.s.s. newer ultra's can only be modded in "tougher" ways rather than connecting two pins. look for one that someone has already done.

Sign in to follow this