I just bought a UT NF4-DF Expert, should I give it back?

Ok guys, I was on some other local boards everybody says this is a great board. And a review for asus 32 sli is not good :-( 2 x 16x pci-e is running much slowly in business benchmarks :-(

So you think my RAM won't work at all? I wwould like to buy new RAM but I don't have money at the moment. So if I stick it in the board it won't work even with no OC? I can change it later, just want it to work at default.

My psu is new aned was almost 100$. I hope it is good enough.

Jerry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are trying 'force' what you have onto a motherboard that may not like your parts. The users here in the forum have basically recommended you get an asus board or the like for everyday usage in order to use parts you 'already' have most effectively and with the most chance of success. That has not changed just because you read a review of something else you are considering.

Finding your other choice as somewhat problematic also; does not change their recommendation to you. I would 'not' buy your components to try and use on a DFI Expert. Does not mean your components will not work but I certainly would not 'buy' that 420watt power supply you have nor the memory you have and expect it to work well on Expert. Does not mean it will not work but the odds would be much better if you chose other memory and other power supply.

You are saying you want to use the computer you are building now for a number of years and if you want to do that you should buy the pieces most likely to work in the motherboard. Reviews don't mean much to many of us anyway. But what matters is what the real world users here have said and they say get the parts best likely to work for Expert or you might be happier with another not so tweakable board. What you read in a review will NOT make your less than optimum parts choice work any better than was previously recommended.

You do NOT have to upgrade today or next week. Save your money and get the more likely to work pieces before you make upgrade. It can be written no more plainly than that. You can try your pieces as no one can say not to do that but you better be prepared mentally and financially to buy more compatible pieces if needed.

RGone...

I understand you. Thank oyu for this opinion. I can not wait unfortunately, because my AGP graphics break down and I need to use the computer and I need 2 X DVA gfx card and buying Matrox P750 again is was just too expensive and that card is too expensive.

I'll try my luck with the 2 Corsair VS RAM's and have 1 Gigabyte of RAM for now.

What RAm would you recoomend me for this board and what power supply? I read here about 480W is not enough? Is that possible? My power supply was not very cheap.

A general use mobo I'd pick abit, msi or tyan over asus.

Asus puts good part on there mobo's, but not as much so as abit or msi or even tyan.

I used to be a DIEHARD ABIT user.... my last 4 Abit boards (Socket A, 2x Socket 478, and a LGA775) all had norhbridge fan failures. The last "GOOD" Abit mobo I had was the BH-6 and BX-6 before that. Every install of an Abit board I've had installed in clients PC's over the last 2 years have FAILED or had the Northbridge fan fail. I'd stick with ASUS for business use, or stick with an INTEL chip on an INTEL DESKTOP mobo for absolute stability... even though it's slower... :shake: :shake:

Well, I use Athlon's since I left Celerons about 5 years ago. I've had Socket A, socket 775 and now a year of 939. I find Athlons very stable for business use. I had a BSOF only when I mess something with the drivers :-)

Abit and MSI seem to lag behind in specifications, I need a lot of SATA and Firewire slots. This coupled with the best quality components brought me to the DFI :-/

Call me an optimist, but I think orsair VS512 x 2 RAM's will work and the 420 PSU will work also. I've never seen a MB needing 550 Watts or more for non gaming use. Maybe I'll regret it. You have warned me.

Ok guys I don't give up...

I ordered 2 1Gb DIMMS named OCZ DDR400 Platinum with 2-3-2-5 timings. I think after reading this forum this RAM is ok.

My PSU is not 420Watt but 460 Watt Chiefted. I hope it will work...

I will get the ram in a week (got it on Ebay), since then I will use my 2 x 512Mb Corsair VS RAM. Andybody can tell me what memory settings I let go to be able to use it till my new RAM comes? I thought 2T and 3-4-4-8 will have to do.

Yours

Jerry

PS - I really didn't like Asus when I saw it. The board is heavier than my mom, consumes too much power and really didn't like my current board A8V deluxe (they don't fix the BIOS for the raid) so... I am yours now :-)

your psu may be rated at 460w, what you need to find out is the amps it puts out on the 12v lines, with all the hardware (ie, 6 hard drives + all your other stuffs) you will need around 30 amps to be in a safe/comfortable zone..........

as far as the board goes, if you really don't plan on clocking, i see no reason for you worry too much about the MB, i am sure it will perform to your expectations nicely.

the last real righteous setup i had was the DFI NF3 250, still sitting on the shelf with all the parts, cpu, ram, heatsink and MB, it ran with no problems, solid performer, now the new righteous setup is the DFI NF4 Ultra, no problems, again a solid board, and the dual core Opty's are a dream to work with when really crunching hard....

stick with it............

baldy

Hehe, I didn't say I won't try to play with OC, I said it isn't my primary goal. First I make it stable an when I get new RAM I make it stable and I want to push it further :-) But no water cooling etc...

I think my PSU has 20W on 12V line (and the sticker says minimum 17)... Well, I'll try it if it works, it worked on other boards.

I was worried because of the RAM because I read that on bad ram it even doesn't boot.

you shouldn't have any problems with that OCZ. I think you made a good choice. Now if you have problems with anything, it will likely be your power supply. Here is the Recommended Powers Supplies thread in case you have not read through it. You should try to find out the specs on your current psu & see if it is up to spec...

Thank you for the info about PSU. I didn't find it, no...

I got this OCZ quite cheap (but here in EU we have much higher RAM prices)... I got it used for 220 US$ with postage which is quite good here. New one is about 320 US$.

Tommorow I assemble my machine and we will see if Corsair VS512 can hold up till I get the new one :-)

Thank you for the info about PSU. I didn't find it, no...

I got this OCZ quite cheap (but here in EU we have much higher RAM prices)... I got it used for 220 US$ with postage which is quite good here. New one is about 320 US$.

Tommorow I assemble my machine and we will see if Corsair VS512 can hold up till I get the new one :-)

Good luck with the build rember that dividers dont hurt stability with the 64's. There is a great guide stikyd and you can always set the ram to 2:1 for a wile. The problem with many lower watt PSU's is that they have all the juce in the 3 and 5 volt rails which are hardly used now a reverse where the 12 volt ril hardly got used back in the day when Intel was king.