Sign in to follow this  
defiant9

Raptor Request Information

How do I optimize the use of my new Raptor? I put the Raptor into my computer and reformatted the drive. How do I get the operating system on the raptor so that I can use it as the primary, and use the Western Digital JB7200 has storage? Can I just drag and drop everything?

Guest Xenozx

um, wow, ah well....

Basically you should take the other drive out the computer for now, or atleast unplug it from the molex and have only the raptor in. Now you want to turn on your PC after this and make sure your Windows XP cd is in the drive. Make sure you can boot from the CD and install windows on your new drive. If its a IDE raptor you should have no problems, if it is SATA you will need the SATA/RAID drivers that you can usually obtain from your Manufacturers website. WHen windows starts loading you will see it say "Press F6 to load third party drivers" Hit f6 and before it gets to the windows install screen it will allow you to select those drivers from a floppy disk. I think you can also emulate a USB thumb drive as the A drive in most motherboards, you will have to check on that one. Anyway once you load those drivers you just go forward install windows on it and boom problem gone. Windows is now running off your raptor.

From there shut down PC hook up old hard drive again and then power on computer go strait into bios and make sure its set to boot from your Raptor first usually under boot or boot device options. then when your in windows you should be under the raptor drive and you can go into my computer and see your old drive too, and you can delete or copy off what you want from that point and use it as storage from that point forward.

Have fun.

You will only be able to copy data over from the other drive, not programs.

If you want to make an exact duplicate of everything on the original drive to the Raptor, then download Acronis True Image:

http://www.acronis.com/

They have a free trial that you can use to see if it will work for your purposes. If you are satisfied with it, I would encourage you to purchase it, if you know you are going to need it in the future.

So you DO have to install the F6 drivers for NF4 raid EVEN if you only have 1 raptor?

I tried installing those once and I got a message saying that setup could not find the device.

Im having problems with my raptor, always gets accessed within 10mins

like 2mins of loading, for no reason... and big dip spikes in hd tach

yet all software even the diagnostic shows it as fine.

thats weird...i had a similar problem and no explanation for it. i installed xp onto a pair of raided raptors on channels 1-3. all 4 channels are enabled in bios..so later i was messing around and when i put everything back together i plugged them into 2-4. everything booted fine and looked ok...i noticed awhile later everything was slowing down alittle and heard the drive bumping alot more than it was before. so i switched back to the original channels and it solved it. i thought it wouldnt make a diference which channels they were on but it did :confused:

Quite please with the Raptor. Truth be told, with using Angrygames video to disable all those XP services makes loading a dream.

Question: My Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 is SATA 1, correct? Is my DFI MB compatible with SATA2? Is there a reason why I didn't buy a SATA2. (My buy choice was based on availability at Newegg)

Quite please with the Raptor. Truth be told, with using Angrygames video to disable all those XP services makes loading a dream.

Question: My Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 is SATA 1, correct? Is my DFI MB compatible with SATA2? Is there a reason why I didn't buy a SATA2. (My buy choice was based on availability at Newegg)

WHA? :confused: :confused: :confused:

There IS IDE raptors .... (sort of)

The 36G and 74G are ordinary IDE drives with a SATA bridge .

On the drives PCB there is the Marvell 88i8030 SATA to PATA bridge.

The new Raptor 150G is native sata (no bridge).