Sign in to follow this  
palehorse

Need advice within the hour! (RAM)

Ok, real quick here.. ordering within the hour for a friend.

She will NOT be overclocking, but we've decided on the Expert board because of the better layout and the fact that I'm here to set it up! ;)

That said, since she's not overclocking at all, I dont need the best RAM available. All I need is the best 2GB UNDER $160, that also works very well with the Expert!

I am also having a difficult time finding BIOS settings for the cheaper RAM, so any help would be appreciated.

So far, here are the choices:

GSkill F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS (DDR400 PC3200)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820231047

GeIL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) GE2GB3200BDC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820144322

OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) OCZ4002048V3DC-K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820146841

THANKYOU AHEAD OF TIME!

based just on timings, and my good experiences with their better sets, I'm leaning toward the GSkill right now.

whataya think?

based just on timings, and my good experiences with their better sets, I'm leaning toward the GSkill right now.

whataya think?

I was told that "value" ram does not work well in these boards, but I have also read here in these forums where some people have had no issues with it.

My opinion is that these are not "value" boards, so it may be best to stay away from other "value" parts. Like ram and psu etc.

you should stay away from "value" ram, especially if u are gonna run the expert board. i would recommend the g.skill, as they really seem to run well on DFI's. im runnin the g.skill hz's and they run amazing on my board. g'luck with the build.

I got a 2 gig set of the G Skill pc4000 HZs. They didn't clock as well as I had hoped, but ran a good stable 250 1:1 and when I got them they only cost $160. They are $192 now. So I would say the G Skill for the price. Are those considered "Value" series?

I got a 2 gig set of the G Skill pc4000 HZs. They didn't clock as well as I had hoped, but ran a good stable 250 1:1 and when I got them they only cost $160. They are $192 now. So I would say the G Skill for the price. Are those considered "Value" series?

they're not labeled as "value" ram, but they're in the same pricerange. Over at xtremesystems, some people have reached 240mhz with them at 2.8v, but I'm having a difficult time finding settings for them...

I cant really afford to spend a ton of time finding the timings myself because my friend needs the system up and running ASAP.

I guess my question is this: Are there any 2GB kits under $160 that have proven stable in Expert boards? (not including the HZ's which randomly drop that low at newegg, but never seem to be that low when I go to buy RAM..lol)

I don't use them now, but I was using Corsair PC3200 value ram for a few weeks, and I had no problems. I had them in a SLI-DR, so it doesn't completely apply to you. I just figured I'd let you know what worked ok for me. Good Luck to ya.

2 gigs value ram bad idea. just get 1 gig good ram. you got better results and stability. id sudgest OCZ titanium series. its theier rock solid ram. meant for servers due to great stability.

Sorry, I forgot he said 2Gb, I have to agree with Grunt_Style on that. I had 1Gb, and wasn't overclocking.

she will be gaming alot, so the 2gb is necessary... she just wont be overclocking at all, so 200mhz is fine...

thanks for your input guys.. i think we'll go with the Gskill NS kit... i managed to find some timings for them, so it should work out!

thanks again!

Sign in to follow this