Sign in to follow this  
aussie fx

can't load ide controllers

Hi Guys I'm new here, just traded "up" from Asus.

Problems already though. I've got things up and running ok on my WD IDE

drive. I then went to install the NF4 drivers and instantly had a problem with

the IDE controllers, 3 are giving me exclamation marks in the device manager.

1. IDE controller.

2. nforce4 parallel ata controller,

3. nforce4 ADMA controller.

Every time I boot, the add new hardware wizard tries to add these 3. When I go

through the process with the wizard, it tells me "This installation package is not

supported by this processor type." Contact your product vendor.

I have used the DFI supplied nforce drivers 6.66. I then tried AMD optimised drivers from nvidia, 6.70 and still no joy.

The bios does recognise the drives plugged into sata 1&2 and the sata raid setup utility sees them as well but as soon as I boot into windows they have disappeared, so now I'm buggered if I know what to do.

The only other thing I can think of is I haven't got the 4 pin floppy power connected into the board but I thought that was only needed when you ran SLI, plus the 7900gt is very efficient.

I see I'm not the only one having sata problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Pete Smith

Wait you have SATA drives and you've installed E-IDE drivers for your OS? I don't think you're suppose to do that. You should uninstall all those drivers but only keep your SM-BUS and Lan drivers.....

I have one IDE drive which windows is recognising as "C" but I can't see the sata drives in windows

All I'm doing is installing the cd nforce 4 drivers.

The IDE is connected to IDE 1 as master and the optical drives are on IDE 2

I can only see IDE controllers in the device manager and I have exclamation marks next to primary IDE channel and standard dual channel PCI IDE controller

I also can't find any sata controllers in device manager.

You don't need ANY floppy drivers unless you're running a RAID array.

If I'm not mistaken is under "ATA/ATAPI or IDE controllers" ....it's NOT going to be written "SATA Controller" that's for sure....

Funny.. cos Im not using raid, only have 1 sata drive, and I cant install windows unless I install the drivers druing F6 stage.. it doesnt find my drive otherwise... Im using the nvidia sata connectors.

Should be under SCSI/Raid controller

Funny.. cos Im not using raid, only have 1 sata drive, and I cant install windows unless I install the drivers druing F6 stage.. it doesnt find my drive otherwise... Im using the nvidia sata connectors.

I don't have a SCSI/raid controller in my device manager

I'm using win xp/pro/sp2

Geez I hate software when it won't work properly!

Because you have a new 150 raptor and most are having some sort of recognition problem with them unless drivers are loaded at F6. Not so the 37 and 74 gig earlier raptors.

RGone...

as well it is always a good idea to plug in ALL connectors, what will it hurt to plug that FDD in?

all of those are there for a purpose y'know

Guys I've finally got it!!!

Been climbing the walls since Tuesday- lol.

It's the bloody floppy disk that comes with the mobo, it's shithouse.

I can see now where I've been going wrong and why all these IDE controllers trying to load.

I went to nvidia website and downloaded their 6.53 drivers, copied the IDE folder to a floppy did a clean install ( without the 80g IDE drive ) and windows recognised the sata drives as a striped array. BINGO!

When I could only load windows to the IDE drive I was trying to install the nforce drivers from cd and the sata drivers there weren't seeing the ones that should have loaded at F6. As a consequence the hardware wizard kept on activating, trying to find a sata controller and all it did was kept on loading more and more IDE controllers. Talk about crazy.

I can see now why this forum is full of people having problems with sata controllers/drives.

You get caught because you can see the drives in the bios and also the raid setup utility.

I'm going to pm angry games with this issue. It's become obvious that no nvidia drivers since 6.53 will work properly.

Many thanks to all for your help.

As a first timer to DFI and these forums, no one called me a dickhead not once!

Cheers ( hic )

Pete.

Guys I've finally got it!!!

I can see now why this forum is full of people having problems with sata controllers/drives.

You get caught because you can see the drives in the bios and also the raid setup utility.

I'm going to pm angry games with this issue. It's become obvious that no nvidia drivers since 6.53 will work properly.

Hi ,

I have an Ultra-D and after you have set up the RAID array in the Nvidia RAID BIOS the individual drives are not visible in the motherboard bios only the newly created RAID disk is visible as something similar to "NVIDIA SCSI-0".

My two (2) cents :)

Best Regards,

Caspanis

Hi Caspanis,

From what I recall if you look at the boot order it shows your various disks and then you select which one to boot.

Mine was showing the 80g on the first line then the two 120gig drives in the next two lines. - Doesn't now though as I have setup the raid array

My two cents - Do you want to call, or raise.- lol

Pete.