Sign in to follow this  
shadow46x2

4 Diag Lights on RMA'ed board

So my spiffy cool sli-dr just came back from DFI, a replacement for the one that wasn't recognizing the CPU anymore.

I get it hooked up barebones, power cords(both main power cords, and the hdd/floppy power connectors), vid card, ram stick, and boot it...and it hangs at 4 diag lights...1 amber, 4 red diags....

Ok, fair enough. I check everything, and restart it..same thing. So I run a CMOS boot(both 30 seconds, and 10 minutes), and same thing. Now I have it completely out of the box, and on a static bag on the desk, hooked up with everything it needs, and same thing.....

i've gone through the "out of box" setup procedure posted elsewhere on the forums, as well as the proper BIOS clear steps...

help...please...before i injure myself putting my foot through this infernal piece of technology, hellbent on making me go bald :(

--j

ps...the whole issue that caused this initially was about 6 months ago, something blew, and nothing would boot up...so at this point, i've replaced the CPU, the PSU, and the mobo...all 3 fresh components

no dice....just swapped them, and get the same result....also took it out completely, and got the same thing....1 amber, 4 red, and it idles

--j

U probably already know this but here it is anyway:

Here is what each of the LEDs mean

System startup 4 led’s on, no CPU detected

CPU is detected 3 led’s on, memory not working

DRAM is detected 2 led’s on, VGA not working

VGA is detected 1 led on, unable to load OS

I am not sure about the amber light.

Now how do you know your CPU is still functioning? You said your last board was RMA'd because it wasn't detecting your CPU and it still sounds like you are having the same problem.

Well, I've already had the CPU rma'ed, because the original problem was that it was being detected, so bladow...rma'ed the cpu...

the new one is brand stinking new, has been in the socket for a total of an hour worth of bootups and shut downs.... :-/

here's basically the process iw ent through last fall when everything went to hell

- loud pop and computer shut down, refusing to boot....

- blinking amber light was coming on at the time, and replaced the PSU...

- popped in new psu, and 4 reds were coming on, shipped in the CPU to have it RMA'ed...

- got the new cpu back, same thing...shipped back the mobo..

--j

You keep mentioning 1 yellow led and four red leds but you make no mention of the second led up near the memory that should come on when you push the power button on the board. It is not on? Then you got problems.

PS: almost always the outsite of an anti-static bag IS conductive and is how it can conduct the static away from the board. Do not sit board on outside of anti-static bag.

RGone...