Sign in to follow this  
Fungal_Tiger

CPU Fan Not Spinning Up

Hi everyone, good to finally join up to these forums but sadly not for fun this time around :(

I'm having a strange problem :drool:

I've already done a forum search and the results are not applicable to me. My CPU fan stops spinning occasionally, usually when it's being powered on for the first time in a day. This has only started happening since I installed my new 7900GT, but I doubt that it is a power issue since 1) the fan is a 92mm 3000RPM and only draws about 4.5W from the header and 2) my 7900 is being powered off of it's own 12V rail :confused:

It's a very worrying issue since it's never happened before and also because my CPU outputs roughly 155W, so given a minute with passive cooling it will die.

I have no idea where to start and I would greatly appreciate any help you gurus can offer :)

Thank you.

Fungal_Tiger :)

try a more powerful psu. The smartpower isnt anything special. Look into anything by pcp&c, or FSP Group, Silverstone (Estasis), Zippy, etc. Stay away from dual rail designs for now. Go single or quad.

Thanks for the reply mate :)

I seriously doubt it's a power issue, my components simply do not draw 500W or more under any situation and I've even tried delaying the HDD spin-up to alleviate this problem in the event that it was the culprit. It didn't work.

My rails are solid, and this power supply has recently run 2x7800GTXs in SLI for about three days (Borrowed from a friend to see if it's worth upgrading my 6600GT). I've never had a single problem with it, and the CPU fan spins up when I go into the BIOS and reboot, so it is getting enough power.

Cheers,

Fungal_Tiger

still, that psu doesn't put out 500w either under any circumstances.

It could very well be something else, and probably is, but I'd upgrade that particular psu anyway if you plan on upgrading further. Itll mostl ikely run your sytem fine though.

Set cpu fan to full at 25C. in bios?

Agree, I have 3 DFI boards and had to do the same for all. THis should solve the problem. At least try before before spending more $$ on a new PSU.

I was worried about the same thing at first, but according to most, its normal for the cpu fan not to spin up until it reaches the set temp. I lowered the values in bios to the min, and also used smartguardian to lower the temp and it works fime. It still slows way down on a cool night when its idle, but as soon as i begin to surf, or especially game, I can see it spin up right away. Its also confirmed by the rpm meter on smart guardian.

My stock cpu fan turns off and on throughout the day.

Is there any harm in this if the cpu is < 25 degrees?

I wouldn't think so. besides, if you have a decent hSF and good airflow thru the case, it is still taking heat off the cpu, even withotu the fan

Gentlemen...this is merely a setup either in the BIOS or if you're using smart guardian in windows....all you have to do is tweak smart guardian in the windows to find the perfect balance between performance and noise...

if you're worried the CPU stopped spinning is because either in the BIOS or Smartgardian you set an option that says "CPU Fan turn off" and put a value that your CPU normally works at....all you have to do is increase this value to something like 40C.....and the fan will not turn off.....but like I said...you have to play with the values in smart guardian