Sign in to follow this  
DualQuad

Problems never seem to end...

Well, I picked up a new powersupply and have continuing problems. I still have random machine reboots (like before), and I can NOT power back up unless I flip the power switch on the PS to off for about 10 seconds (until leds on MB go dark). If I do not do the power switch thing, the machine spins up then abruptly powers down.

Any thoughts on where the problem now lies?

Thanks in advance, DQ

Okay if you picked up the Powerstream 520 as your new PSU you baught your problem. Its a cold boot issue that the DFI- SLI DR EXPERT has with the OCZ PSU. If you simply got a new Powerstream to replace the old its still the problem....I have this problem and many others have this problem in some cases its more severe than others....if you want to fix the problem get a PC Power and Cooling and you will have a damn good PSU.....no issues, if that doesnt fix it then its the board that doesnt want to boot......some have gone through various PSU's and never found a combo the solved the issues others have changed PSU's and found there Saviors...

Well, I picked up a new powersupply and have continuing problems. I still have random machine reboots (like before), and I can NOT power back up unless I flip the power switch on the PS to off for about 10 seconds (until leds on MB go dark). If I do not do the power switch thing, the machine spins up then abruptly powers down.

Any thoughts on where the problem now lies?

Thanks in advance, DQ

Honestly as the owner of 2 experts, I'd suggest just selling it and getting a SLI-D

I thought that the powerstream 600 was the one with issues, but seeing all the other quirky stuff on these forums makes me think you could be right about issues between the 520 and Expert.

As far as getting a SLi-D, I think I will pass. I do own a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D and it has "issues" as well. My time with DFI may be reaching an end.

Thanks again,

DQ

hmm, i have no problems with the OCZ 520 Powerstream unit and the Ultra D i just got, and it is one of the older ones (the PS, i mean).

hmm, now you got me thinking............geesh........

baldy

I have the same problem when I turn on my computer. I found a work around it .

when you turn it on hold the delete key for about four seconds and the machine will boot to windows without any problems. If there is a setting in the bios to fix this would someone please tell use. This is my first post, I have been reading here for about two months and came over from an asus. Turning this thing on is the only problem I have had so far.

I have the same problem when I turn on my computer. I found a work around it .

when you turn it on hold the delete key for about four seconds and the machine will boot to windows without any problems. If there is a setting in the bios to fix this would someone please tell use. This is my first post, I have been reading here for about two months and came over from an asus. Turning this thing on is the only problem I have had so far.

I will give the delete key trick a try. Thanks for the tip!

As far the Modstream 450 + Ultra-D combo, I tried that combo as well as was greeted with slow boot times and random reboots.

Now to stay somewhat on topic, the combo of Expert and Powerstream 520 shows very little voltage fluctuation under load, compared to Expert+Modstream 450 combo. I simply can't see a reason for the random reboot and the inability to restart. I will try whatever "tricks" you guys provide and tough it out a bit longer.

Thanks, DQ

my 520 and Expert get along perfectly... never had a problem, and im about to build a second system with the same combo...

sorry about your luck! hope it all works out in the end!

I've read some posts about people having the cold boot issue with the OCZ 520 but not nearly as often as with the OCZ 600. I had cold boot issues with the expert and venus using the OCZ powerstream 600. Both computers run fine with the powerstream 520 and a cheap Antec smartpower 2.0 500W modular that didn't have the 8 pin power connector.

If all else fails, you can Rma the board to DFI for a quick fix. I have to say that DFI tech support is first rate with quick turnaround and polite professsional staff.

I'm kinda disappointed in DFI for letting this cold boot issue slip through the crack. I need a dependable computer and have been screwing around with power supplies, rma'ing M'boards and PSU's and constantly having a computer out of service. At the moment all are running but any more problems and I'll be looking for another brand of motherboard for my next build. DFI overclocking ability is a great feature but dependability is mandatory.

:cat:

I just built the rig in my signature, and I am also having the cold boot problem. I found that after the third time hitting the power button, my system will start up. I'd feel much better if it started up on the first try. :(