Sign in to follow this  
combat squirrel

Is almost imposs to figure out which PSU !

Guest Upok

Enermax Liberty 620 here, no problems with x2, dual 7800gts, blah, blah, blah. As far as the "crap shoot" as to whether or not a psu will play nice with the expert, that seems to go with a lot of components and this board. Some people have great success with one type of memory while others with the same memory don't. Or processors, or sli, or raid arrays, whatever--the fact of the matter is that each and every expert board out there has a mind of its own!! They can try the patience of a saint--BUT, when you finally figure out what makes them happy, look out! When they behave well, there are few boards that can run with it.

I have an Enermax Noisetaker 600W that I used with my Ultra-D. It's a great PSU. Very powerful, plenty of amperage on the rails, and very quiet. I ran into trouble when using it with my Expert though. I know many people have used Enermax PSUs and all the other PSUs that aren't supposed to work with the Expert and haven't had any problems, but unfortunately, I wasn't one of the lucky ones.

I went and got the Fortron Epsilon 700W, no problems at all so far! I actually like it better than my Enermax. It's more efficient, and even a bit quieter. Plus, like most high power PSUs, it has some serious amperage on those four 12V rails. I highly recommend this PSU. Peace of mind is well worth the extra few bucks in my opinion. Granted, there's always a chance that things won't work, but I have yet to read about someone who has had trouble with this PSU and an Expert.

Guest capper5016

The FPS FX700-GLN 700W is a great power supply. Been working on the review of it all week, hope to have it posted on friday. Absolutely no problems with it and the Expert board.

Also, on a related note, some people will complain about the 15A rails. First there are four rails, 50A total...more than enough....plus, FPS has said that they are actually 18A with a 20A OCP...they didn't list them as 18A until they had passed testing, but all are compliant

Also, on a related note, some people will complain about the 15A rails. First there are four rails, so 60A total...more than enough....plus, FPS has said that they are actually 18A with a 20A OCP...they didn't list them as 18A until they had passed testing, but all are compliant

Exactly, there are four rails. I think a lot of people miss that and get hung up on the 25A "requirement" which is assumed for a PSU with only two 12V rails. Very good point. Nice to see you Capper! :)

FSP Epsilon 600W at £85 from Scan after VAT/before delivery. Now thats value over £17 more for the Seasonic 800W which I see not difference. In fact I will trust FSP's products more after all the issues with the Seasonics. A OCZ 600W is £40-£50 more... and thats a big difference to me.

In addition to the fact that Experts have been known to have problems with Seasonic and OCZ PSUs.

Where do I get this 20.00 700w PSU? :drool: I assume this was a typo. :)

Not a typo. He is saying the difference between the 600W and the 700W is 20 USD.

The FPS FX700-GLN 700W is a great power supply. Been working on the review of it all week, hope to have it posted on friday. Absolutely no problems with it and the Expert board.

Also, on a related note, some people will complain about the 15A rails. First there are four rails, so 60A total...more than enough....plus, FPS has said that they are actually 18A with a 20A OCP...they didn't list them as 18A until they had passed testing, but all are compliant

Not 60A total, you can't just add them up. 15A is the max per independent rail, the max A for all 12v rails combined is 50A. Also, the total combined will not change with the new listing of 18A max per rail (I know you didn't say it would, just adding that for clarity). Still more than enough though :cool:

p.s. the OCP is actually 22A

Guest Timmay

Simple, SilverStone ST60F.

Guest capper5016

uh, yeah... I was saying 60A total....I know you can't just "add them up"

Guest capper5016
Not 60A total, you can't just add them up. 15A is the max per independent rail, the max A for all 12v rails combined is 50A. Also, the total combined will not change with the new listing of 18A max per rail (I know you didn't say it would, just adding that for clarity). Still more than enough though :cool:

p.s. the OCP is actually 22A

My bad for not clarifying, I simply meant to emphasize there were 4 15A rails as opposed to the two most current PSUs have

Also, after talking to Fortron, i was told the OCP is in fact 20, not 22A

My bad for not clarifying, I simply meant to emphasize there were 4 15A rails as opposed to the two most current PSUs have

Also, after talking to Fortron, i was told the OCP is in fact 20, not 22A

Ahhh no worries, people just tend to get all worked up when they see that and think woohooo 60A (or now with 18A...woohoo 72A total)

Interesting about the OCP as that is what they have on all their specs. Oh well, still not bad at all. Thanks for the info.

Sign in to follow this