Sign in to follow this  
aenima4six2

PSU Help - Determining If You Have A Good PSU

Hi all,

Realizing today that I don’t know very much about PSUs (Power Supply Units), I figured I mine as well research up and ask the masters before I purchase a new one.

I was just curious is anyone would be willing to explain some key purchasing guidelines and explanations about PSUs.

To Start, here are some things I would like to know.

1) What amount of Watts should one is targeting a SLI/Crossfire system compared to a non SLI/Crossfire system?

2) Everybody always mentions the +12v Rails, why are these so important? How many should a good PSU have? Should the amps coming off multiple rails be added for a "total" +12V amp measure, or is each rail independent. Ex: if i wanted by Total +12V amps to be 30. Would I be indifferent with 2 +12v of (15a) or 1 12v or (30a)?

3) Correct me if I’m wrong, but the image I have attached is a picture of the PSU's CPU powering wire, correct? My question is, my current PSU has 2 of these, is this for a true multi CPU setup, if not, I have no idea what to do with the second one.

If anyone has the time, I was curious if they could give me an honest opinion about THIS PSU. Based on this opinion, I will either keep it or upgrade it. Also, does its power output satisfy the needs of an ATI x1900xtx?

As always, thanks for reading!

Quality of build is going to be first and formost. How they achieve the amperage and wattage rating is very important as well. Some manufacturers use testing methods that don't represent the conditions they will used in to get a certain amperage, others are on the pick a number system.

Pick a PSU from the "A" List in this thread and never look back.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

I have been using the OCZ PSU's for about 6 months based on recommendations and they are a very solid Power Supply.

I would strongly recommend against using an Aspire PSU. They're junk. I had one that came with a case and it might as well be a door stop. The "A" list of PSU's is awesome. It points out the PSUs that have been tried and found to work well :)

haha, well looks like im takin out the bat and glove cause tonight we playin ball with the aspire !

So I'll deff be ordering up one of the the A listed PSU's. This is probably why I cant get very good O/C results, would you agree (the crappy current PSU)

?

As Far as the other questions go (multiple rails and cpu power connectors), anyone have an explanation ?

2) Everybody always mentions the +12v Rails, why are these so important? How many should a good PSU have? Should the amps coming off multiple rails be added for a "total" +12V amp measure, or is each rail independent. Ex: if i wanted by Total +12V amps to be 30. Would I be indifferent with 2 +12v of (15a) or 1 12v or (30a)?

3) Correct me if I’m wrong, but the image I have attached is a picture of the PSU's CPU powering wire, correct? My question is, my current PSU has 2 of these, is this for a true multi CPU setup, if not, I have no idea what to do with the second one.

2) There is some debate on what is better, a single 12v rail or multiple rails. Personally I like my 4 rail setup better than dual rails (just to make things more confusing for you). Here are some good reads on the subject

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=213849

3) The second one will clip onto the first one as some boards/CPUs require an 8pin connector as opposed to a 4 pin.

haha, well looks like im takin out the bat and glove cause tonight we playin ball with the aspire !

So I'll deff be ordering up one of the the A listed PSU's. This is probably why I cant get very good O/C results, would you agree (the crappy current PSU)

?

As Far as the other questions go (multiple rails and cpu power connectors), anyone have an explanation ?

I think mine met with it's final demise via a warhammer. It died roughly a week after I got it. Complete hunk of junk, thought I'd send it to hell :)