PORTABLE AV and anti spyware

CopyNinjaKakash

Im sure most of you have been in this situation: "man, my computer is really screwed up, can you come over sometime and fix it"? or something along those lines from someone you are friends with or just someone who simply wants your help. Now im looking for recommendations for portable anti-virus and anti spyware/adware/malware things i can run off of my flashdrive or bootcds to help out a few friends with hosed windows boxes. Any suggestions?

I simply keep AVG, Ewido and Ad Aware on a thumbdrive. You can download the updates for AVG and Ad Aware to keep the installs updated.

I've never had to resort to using a bootable media because if the system is that fooked up your only resort is to pull the drive and put it in another rig for scanning.

There are many, many different ways of creating a bootable anti-virus / anti-spyware / adware / malware CD or DVD. Some anti-virus retail CDs are bootable right off the bat (Norton's Anti-Virus, for instance) though the virus definitions will probably not be up-to-date. Of course, that is easily remedied.

I have a ISO on my server (which I update frequently) just for that purpose. I can't give it away as it is registered to me.

Here is a Google search to provide you with mucho information as to accomplish what you are looking to do:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwind...s+CD%22&spell=1

Just remember that since you aren't booting from the OS you'll never eradicate all of the bad stuff. You must boot to the OS to make your final scans for the Registry and anything that gets loaded from hidden/system files.