Sign in to follow this  
OceanSeasforMe

Astounding stuff I saw today

Guest Neezer
well, as to the potato car....there is way more chemical energy in the same mass of gasoline than in a potatoe. you could have a potato car and get .01miles to the pound of potatoes.....that makes 100 pounds to the mile. so in the same sized gas tank as we have now. 20 gallons. assume potato density is the same as gas 5 pounds per gallon. we get 100 pounds of potatos in a tank. that means we can go a whole mile before having to buy another hundred pounds of potatos....Sounds like a great way to travel

[b]@OceanSeasforMe:[/b] This thread could open-up a can-of-worms, just to let you know.

If everyone keeps their conversations civil, I will allow it to remain open.

Guest Neezer
i was just messin' around. I actually pulled all of those numbers out of my butt, but it might be fun to get the real numbers on a potato car......[goes to google] :)

It's not wise to base a post on un-substantiated ramblings.

To make your point it is best to include links to solid, verifiable resources. ;)[quote name='Neezer']i was just messin' around. I actually pulled all of those numbers out of my butt, but it might be fun to get the real numbers on a potato car......[goes to google] :)[/quote]

Are you talking about an engine that completely (or almost completely) runs on the Ethanol that Brazil is making right now from Sugar Cane? It's a lot easier for them to extract the ethanol from there product than it is for the US to extract it from Corn.

Something to that effect per se?

[quote name='cmay119']Are you talking about an engine that completely (or almost completely) runs on the Ethanol that Brazil is making right now from Sugar Cane? It's a lot easier for them to extract the ethanol from there product than it is for the US to extract it from Corn.

Something to that effect per se?[/quote]

I think that is it, its just it is kind of impratical because we are nowhere capable of producting the large ammounts of ethanol needed because most of the corn goes to the cattle industry. but hopefuly we will be soon, and just to give readers a concept of how good this is, it produces little carbon diooxide, comes from a renuable source, and costs 50 cents a gallon with the same gas mileage or better than cars today.

Guest Neezer
[quote name='Evil_inc']but hopefuly we will be soon, and just to give readers a concept of how good this is, it produces little carbon diooxide, comes from a renuable source, and costs 50 cents a gallon with the same gas mileage or better than cars today.[/quote]

Are you talking about ethanol blended fuel?? cause that gets slightly lower mileage than regular gas. as for pure ethanol, it gets way, way worse mileage than gasoline.

The potato vs. gasoline numbers will have to wait for tomorrow. I have most of them, but not the time to do the math. It is par time here on a tuesday night. just for the information. a 20 gallons of gasoline has approximately 2300 MJ of chemical energy
need to do the math on the potatos.

The oil industry is certainly not raping anyone. They make a mere $.08 profit per $1 of sales. Many other industries make much more, some over twice as much.

I'd rather not do a huge math problem, but there's no way ethanol can be as fuel efficient as gasoline. Gasoline releases more energy and produces more gaseous product.

[quote name='fst h2o']The oil industry is certainly not raping anyone. They make a mere $.08 profit per $1 of sales. Many other industries make much more, some over twice as much.[/quote]
Wow, someone that actually knows how the Oil Industry works. Props!

There was somebody in my Algebra 2 class who was talking about how much he hated George W. Bush because he raises gas prices...

Little does he know the President has no control over that. Well, little, if any control, that is.

I then asked him why he hates Bush. He gave me all of this garbage I see on the news everynight.

I really think it's sad that the youth today is so brainwashed they can't even think for themselves.

[quote name='UncleDavid218']There was somebody in my Algebra 2 class who was talking about how much he hated George W. Bush because he raises gas prices...

Little does he know the President has no control over that. Well, little, if any control, that is.

I then asked him why he hates Bush. He gave me all of this garbage I see on the news everynight.

I really think it's sad that the youth today is so brainwashed they can't even think for themselves.[/quote]

That kinda reminds of the song by Greenday, "American Idiot".