Problems again

Guest BLiTzKRiEG_merged

Guest BLiTzKRiEG

Well, from my last thread, I was finally able to get windows installed onto the system in my signature using only the bare minimums (1 vid card, 1 stick of ram, 1 ROM drive, and 1 hard drive).

I ran into a problem when installing the nForce4 chipset drives via the CD, the computer would reboot mid load, and then would not recognize my DVD ROM drive.

Not only that, but for some strange reason, I attempted to download firefox, and it wasnt letting me install it either (kept giving me an error "ERROR DATA 7" when trying to run the exe)

to make matters worse, I then attempted to run prime95 (two instances, one on each core) and received an a Fatal Hardware Error message from prime95 after just 3 minutes AT STOCK SPEEDS AND VOLTAGES.

I consulted another guy who I trust when it comes to PC's, and he thinks that it may be a bad voltage regulator on the board, I am looking for all available opinions...

3 weeks without my main computer is driving me crazy!

EDIT: Also, I was able to get the chipset drivers installed via the download from dfi.com

Guest BLiTzKRiEG

Yea, as I said... got the chipset drivers loaded via the download... and thats the part that confused me is when it crashed during the driver install... Which is why myself and the guy I know are leaning on it being a motherboard problem... but as I said, I wanted as much input as possible before I make any RMA decisions.

Guest BLiTzKRiEG

Already did the maxtor thing, updated the firmware...

and that wouldn't have anything to do with the prime95 failing.

It prolly does not :) Check out this page: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/mb_cpu_suppo...ID=3872&SITE=US

Seems optys aren't supported by DFI, if you have another cpu lying around, test the other one out on your mobo. This way you can rule out your cpu...

techinically opty's arent supported by any MOBO maker, but a lot of people run them no problem on these boards

I would try a minimal install with one stick of ram plugged in with one hd.... of course after ram is memtested, begin adding stuff and hopefully you'll eventually find what is causing headaches

I know, but it could be a faulty memory controller or such.

Well, from my last thread, I was finally able to get windows installed onto the system in my signature using only the bare minimums (1 vid card, 1 stick of ram, 1 ROM drive, and 1 hard drive).

He already tried that ;) My guess is the cpu

Guest BLiTzKRiEG

Well, I do have my ultra D just sitting here laying around... So I am going to pull the swap to see if its the CPU... If I get it running... then i know it was the mobo... if it does the same.... then its the CPU, and will prolly RMA both just to be safe (incase it was the mobo and it fried the CPU somehow)

Definitely just hook up one HDD when you install windows. This oversight also caused me all kinds of headaches in the beginning.

If you installed the nVidia Activearmor or nTune, remove them. They don't work with DFI boards.