Changing stock HSF thermal grease

chapas

Hey. I was comparing temps with my friend who has the exact same mobo and cpu as me, and he has way lower temps at full load than me. My temps are not that bad really, but maybe reapplying the thermal grease would help. CPU at 2520mhz is 34° at idle and aprox 45° at load. My friend did 2600mhz at 45° with the same setup. I'm using the stock sempron cooler with the grease patch that came by default. I do have a syringe full of white thermal grease, regular one (it's made by a local lab). Should applying this grease give me better results, or should I buy something like Artic Silver 5 (AS5?)? Or even leave things like they are now. Hope you can help me guys :)

One thing more: when I installed the HSF, the small lever that you have to rotate to fasten the HSF, it does not go down all the way. Maybe it's 3-4mm off from where it should indent with the plastic thingie in the mobo. I have to push it quite hard to make it rotate, I hope this is normal (the plastic stick that goes from one side to the other of the HSF bends).

Bleh, I tried replacing the stock grease (thermal pad?) for normal white thermal grease and now I get 2 more degrees celsius.

Right now I'm idle at 33°C with air conditioning. All is properly installed, I dunno what else to do rather than buying AS5 and hoping the temp may go lower. Is AS5 effective?