Sign in to follow this  
gplracer

Should I update my 6/23 bios?

I still have the 6/23 bios. Should I update it? It runs great at 2910mhz but I did not know if there are some features that I am missing or if it could help my overclock. Thanks!!!

I've switched to 704-2BTA which has less voltage options, no boot logo, and I'm pretty sure memtest86 has been removed also. Yet to determine if it helps my overclock, but at least it's stable where the other one was too so I haven't lost anything.

It's hard to say. There might be a general concensus that a BIOS is a good clocker etc but it really depends on your own hardware. Personally I found the 623 an excellent BIOS, however, the 704-2BTA and the 329 (2006 latest) are better. I don't know which of the latter two is better but for me, they both were more stable than the 623 which I had RAM issues with on all except 623-2.

I have a good friend of mine with Ultra-D board and single new x1900xtx; we have been tuning as a community project and he is over 40,500 in 3D01 with the 623-3.bin bios and moving toward 41K. That is pretty awesome 3D benching all air cooled and using Ocz EB 4000 memory on a divider, with that EB and bios whipping the crap out of the TCCD he used to be so partial to.

Oh yes, we will probably try a later bios as well but the point is we are prepared if his luck does not hold and slides him into the 2% of failed bios flashes. We have spare bios chips and hot-flashing skills and not dealing with a must have computer. A lot to be said though for that standard DFI 623-3.bin bios from where we have been sitting and no failed bios flash either since we have not flashed.

RGone...

Guest thespin

I THINK RGone is saying you should stay with 6-23 since it works fine and switching may result in problems you don't need ... I may be wrong ... :)

Nothing wrong with trying a different bios. Have a back-up plan in case something goes wrong. I use a bios savior and I have a spare chip with the 623 flashed on it.. Make notes on what the bios you are using now does at different speeds and timings so you will have something to compare it to. A new bios may mean a completely different approach to your overclock and what worked before may not work with a different bios.. Haven't found a bios that will gain me much in the way of overclocks since the NF2 days.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of your opinions. I think I will stay with this bios for now. I really have not issues other than being at 2910mhz and wanting 3000mhz. It is a guy think I guess. I know it makes no real difference.

Hmmm havent posted for a while as everythings been cool. Just having a look through to see whats new.

I'm still running the 310 bios. Worth going to 623?

It's really hardware specific I have found, right down to the small levels of detail as to which dimms you are running your memory in.

You have nothing to lose really, a simple flash back and knowing what genie bios settings you had beore will bring things back to how they were pre-flash.

I just flashed to new NF4LD329 bios and I didn't gain enything, exept new memtest and some small updates in bios...

My overclock is still maxing out the same...

I used 623 bios before this new one.

//M_d