Which Nforce2 Board To Go With

it's running 36c in a POS case with a stock amd cooler.

and the part about a salesman's 266mhz bus is the true of all athlons... divide the "fsb" you hear on websites, stores and stuff like that by 2 for amd and by 4 on intel (I know I get wound up about this subject too often).

basically the duron 1600 is the athlon 1900+ without the name on it... benches exactly the same too.

thanks for the info, bigred. I'll have to doublecheck with my dad and make sure he's alright with me getting a duron, but it sounds like that's what i'll do. Thanks for the advice. I don't think he'll have a problem with it, it seems like the best solution. Thanks again.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw it oc's REAL well too. unlock the multiplier and play with the bus speed a little. got this one upto 2.2ghz... which would compair to what model tbred?

2.2ghz? crap, isn't that what the $400 3200+ is specced at? geez. Yeah, maybe i will OC it a little. Not that high, because i don't want to worry about heating too much. I take it you didn't use the stock amd cooler after you oc'd it, right? I also have to go get some arctic silver as i have none. I doubt that goo amd provides would suffice.

just a stock cooler with regular heatsink compound. nothing fancy to get it that high. it's not even cracking 50c under full load at that high of an oc (had pushed it to 2.4ghz but it was unstable there). supposedly there's a way to short the l2 bridges and get the full 512k of cache running too (can you say 133mhz fsb barton?)

just a stock cooler with regular heatsink compound. nothing fancy to get it that high. it's not even cracking 50c under full load at that high of an oc (had pushed it to 2.4ghz but it was unstable there). supposedly there's a way to short the l2 bridges and get the full 512k of cache running too (can you say 133mhz fsb barton?)

wow, ok. well you sold me on it :). I won't be messing with the cache sizes, but it definitely sounds like a sweet buy. 50C load with stock cooler and compound cranked to 2.2ghz is amazing.

BTW, when you say duron 1600, do you mean duron 1.6ghz? This is what i found at newegg That only says 200mhz fsb, so i don't think that's the one you meant. But i couldn't find duron 1600 at tiger or zipzoom either. hmm.

1.6ghz (same everything as the xp 1900+). the bus is 266 not 200 unlike what newegg is saying. kinda nice too.

well it costs $8 more than you said, at a bank-breaking $43 dollars ;) That's cool though, thanks for the clarification. I love buying from newegg, but i HAVE noticed that sometimes their info/specs are incorrect. It's kind of annoying.

Okay, i ordered the A7N8X (non-d) board last night and will go get the duron 1.6 at the nearby microcenter, because it's on sale for $39.99 plus tax, and i'd rather just be able to go pick it up myself. It's OEM, so i had to get a hsf. I went with the Volcano 7 for $16 after shipping from newegg because it seems to push a lot of air, and it's not as loud as some others i've seen, plus it's at a good price. Since duron's aren't supposed to get as hot, i didn't want to spend too much on the HSF. Do you think i made the right decision in getting the Volcano 7?

Volcano 7 - at max, 39dba @ 5000rpm pushing 53cfm.

(7+ is 47dba; 9, 11, & 11+ are 48dba)

I've owned an Abit NF7 nforce 2 with a 1600xp running at 1.9Ghz stable with 400fsb. I think its a great board and it did everything I needed it to do with no problems or hassles. I just got my new 2500 barton put on my NF7-S v.2 board with SLK-900A running at 2.2ghz, 400fsb. The temps are 31.5idle and 36load. I had it running at 2.4ghz for a little bit but its brand new and I wasn't sure if it would be such a good idea to stress it too much too soon. Temps were 40.5c max load though. So I guess i'm just trying to say Abit makes good boards and the NF7 would do what you want it to.

I've owned an Abit NF7 nforce 2 with a 1600xp running at 1.9Ghz stable with 400fsb. I think its a great board and it did everything I needed it to do with no problems or hassles. I just got my new 2500 barton put on my NF7-S v.2 board with SLK-900A running at 2.2ghz, 400fsb. The temps are 31.5idle and 36load. I had it running at 2.4ghz for a little bit but its brand new and I wasn't sure if it would be such a good idea to stress it too much too soon. Temps were 40.5c max load though. So I guess i'm just trying to say Abit makes good boards and the NF7 would do what you want it to.

the nf7 is king for overclocking athlons the voltage options are crazy and the bios is well laid out