Sign in to follow this  
transcend11

PSU connections question: Antec Truepower II 550W

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817103931

I just built my new system, installing Windows XP at the moment.

I have one question about the PSU I bought, recommended to me by many on these boards. Newegg has great reviews of it, and they all say "many connections." However, I only have one cord that has the right connections (is it called IDE molex?) for my CD-ROM drives and my HDD's, that are all IDE. I actually had to use an extension from my old PSU (Thermaltake Purepower 420W) to be able to fit all 4 of the above connections... on a single cord. My old PSU had 3 cords with the right connections, with 3 separate connections per cord! Am I missing something?

There are two! cords with two of, what I think are, SATA connections, which are useless to me... I would much rather those be more of what I need :P I can't even connect my 6 case fans (Aspire Alien-X case) without using the PSU's automated speed "FAN" connection... which slow my fans down even when I want them fast. Please help?

I have the same power supply, but the EPS12V version that has two cords for molex pluggs.

Look, I'm running 2 DVD Roms, 2 HDD, 1 Fan Controller, 1 Cathode lights, 1 floppy all of the one rail using Y splitters.

As for fans, I'm running 6 120MM fans with the fan controller and 2 off the MOBO.

The power supply has plenty of grunt with 36A maximum. That's quite good.

My suggestion would be to invest in 2 -3 good quality Y splitters, I reckon that's less than $5, and go for it.

My SATA connections are useless as well and are all tucked away.

PS> Smartguardian and Speed fan all showing stable power. The real test is time, and the computer hasn't crashed at all for weeks. I have ran the damn thing for days at a time with no issues.

I posted this on 3 forums, and you are the only ones to answer.. thank you!

Well... even the box it came in says, "dual +12V output circuits" seems to say I'm supposed to have what appears to be missing. This is a weird problem.

Is it worth RMAing it to newegg, or would having a Y-splitter on my single line be the same thing? I was thinking maybe it would be more unstable having all my devices coming from one line from the PSU.. but if not, I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it... beats waiting a week with no computer :(

The dual circuits is internal, it's not physical cords. They had to do this to keep up with strict ATX standards. There are some power supplies out there that have up to 4 12V circuits. That's why I mentioned you have up to 36A which is the maximum from the "Dual" circuits.

If you're not planning on adding any more devices, and you're keen to get it going, i suggest you just install it. I know it will run quite stable. This will change later in the future if you run SLI, add more stuff etc..

I looked everywhere for SATA to Molex converters; unfortunately, there was none. Maybe later on you can change them yourself to Molex. I think it's quite easy job and the parts are everywhere.

RMAing is always an option. But remember, the 36A is always available, and it's not related to two physical molex cords.

Oh I see what they mean in their description. I made this topic as soon as I installed everything and got situation in Windows :) My system is running great currently, but I couldn't help but be interested in the lack of connections compared to my old PSU.

So, since there is so much power for the 12V connections, does that mean I can use two dividers on the one cord and not overload anything? If so, I could make it exactly how I was expecting, similar to my old connections.

My main concern is getting the fans off of the "FAN" connector... I'm not sure how much I should trust my PSU to limit my case fans. Although, my system is quieter than it's ever been :)

I suggest you don't use the PSU fan controller, they make the fans run way too weak. I personally would say yes, you can use two splitters cause i'm using two at the moment with no issues at all.

For you fans, I suggest a fan controller, you can still run that of the same rail. it'll work much better. I have 5 120MM off the controller and they're running quite effectively.