Help with 3 memory sticks and an nF4-D

Hi!

This is my first DFI board. I had a pretty rough time making the board run in the first place... I forgot to connect all 4 power suplies and the board didn't start (i got 3 LEDs as an error). Anyway, i got it running but so far i haven't been able to make it run with all my 3 memory modules.

I have 1x512 MB Canyon (piece of [email protected]) and 2x256MB Spectek (double piece of [email protected]). It seems to start with either two, but not with 3.

I've also tried putting them in different DIMMs and haven't had any luck. I then set the DRAM frequency at 133 from the BIOS and it still doesn't boot up (i get 3 LEDs). I will now try to set some very loose timings, but i imagine i'll have no luck.

I have to mention that i haven't had any problems with these modules in an MSI K7N2 Delta-L (nF2), a Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939 (nf3).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Am i doing something wrong?

So you're trying to get 3xDimms working at the same time (which is already hard on the Mem, controller as it is). Then on top of that you're using unmatched sticks. And then on top of that, your using high density value ram.

Perhaps if the Mother Mary comes down from the heavens and gives them the holy touch, then "maybe" your computer will boot up. Anything short of that, and I think you're in for some headaches.

Count your losses and run the 2x256 until you can get some better memory...

Hello,

I suppose you have tried these combinations?

Top Orange slot = 512MB

Top Yellow slot = empty

Bottom Orange slot = 256MB

Bottom Yellow slot = 256MB

and this,

Top Orange slot = 256MB

Top Yellow slot = 256MB

Bottom Orange slot = 512MB

Bottom Yellow slot = empty

If it doesn't work there is not much that can be done.

Just because it worked in the MSI/Gigabyte board doesn't mean it should work in this board.

3 sticks will not work probably.Well it wont to best of my understanding.

If you are using either slot #3 or #4, you need to have sticks in slots #1 or #2, respectively. Bottom slots are used for dual channel.

If you have ram sticks in the same colored slots, it will run dual channel. ram in slots #1 and #2 will run single channel.

But if you have ram in same colored slot + in either slot #3 or #4, which mode should the cpu operate in?? Single or dual channel?

Also if need to same same ram in the same colored sticks to run dual channel, or you 'll get problems.

So if you still wanna try, try the 256 sticks in orange slots, and put the 512 in slot #1.

I dont think it will work, in case it does, please post back!

Rev E athlon 64 and later supports mismatched memory .

Eg 2*512 in each channel (A+B) + 1G in the other channel (A)

Result is that the CPU sets all in 64bits mode (single chl mode).

Ref: Bios and deveoper guide Athlon64

New:

mod64bitmux register , "Mismatched DIMM Support Enable"

Don't know if DFI has coded this in their bios though , but it works on other boards

Even if you do get it to work. It sounds like it's just the combination for trouble. Mismatched sticks + different sized sticks + 3 slots + AMD Memory controller. Looks like migraine central coming up...

I've never tried it personally because I didn't want to deal with the issues that would more than like come about from it.

OK, i'll try some of your solutions and post back with the results.

I have one more question though : if i get another 512 stick and use the two 256MB sticks in Orange/Yellow and the two 512 sticks in Yellow/Orange will it work an will i have any problems?