General Build Q's

Nuclear

Just trying to get a feel on what steps people go thru when building a new comp.

Do you install the CPU, Heatsink, Ram, etc... in the board before the board goes in the case?

or...

Would you rather get the board in and then worry about installing all the componets?

Do you install the HDDs, CD-ROMs, etc... in the case before the board goes in?

or...

Do you wait and do that last?

I'm just wondering guys, trying to get a feel for everyone's technique. Always exploring new options.

Edited by Nuclear

Install the board first, then components.

As far as hdd, cdroms and all that stuff, you can do it either b4 or after. but if you have a small case i recommend doing it after the mobo is in because sometimes the drives get in the way of putting the board in!

HEHE, my fault for making it unclear. I've already built and put together my machine, I was just wondering what steps everyone else went in.

Personally, I like to install the motherboard componets once it's in the case also. I've met guys before that swore it was easier to assemble it outside then just screw it in. I guess it's just personal preference.

*sigh*

I just caught your new taglin bigred. crap you for having an Athlon64 rig already. Not to mention those other sweet rigs.

*shakes fist*

I need a good paying job. <_>

He had that quite a while ago :lol:

Depending on what kind of cooling I'm using I generally like to install cpu, and heatsink/waterblock before the mobo goes in. Mainly because sometimes those HSF can be tricky to get on so if you can see it easier then all the better. However it all depends on where the screw holes are. If it will be harder to screw the mobo down after the HSF is on the mobo then I do everything after.

First i place the mobo down to make sure i get the raisers right, can't forget that step:) . I've always put the board in first, then the cpu/hsf. I think it WOULD be easier most of the time to put on the hsf outside a case, but i always work on the floor of whatever room i'm in, so i feel safer doing it inside the case. As for the drives, i put them in after mainly because i arrange the drives according to how far the ide cables can reach.

When i built my first computer a few years ago, my friend came over to walk me thru it since he built em before, and he installed the hsf on the mobo out of the case.

Personally, here the is the order I go in...

I take the motherboard, and place it on the standoffs in side the case and put it in. Hopefully, a removable motherboard tray is there to make life easier. The next step I take is to put the CPU into the socket/slot, and then the heatsink and all related items (thermal compound, etc.)

After that, it depends on the motherboard. A lot of the time, RAM slot tabs can get in the way of installing a video card, so the RAM goes in next, followed by the video card. Any other needed exspansion cards are then installed. Hard drives are put into their drive cages, and connected...as well as CD-ROM drives or anything you put in the internal drive bays.

Then I start tweaking it (overclocking, underclocking other stuff...w/e) and then adding case fans.