Sign in to follow this  
MikalCarbine257

Question about Expert and dying CPUs

Martin Cracauer, that very page you linked to says that we should be worried about the differential:

3.5 V --- 1.42 V (min)

If computerpro3 was running at stock voltage with his memory pumped up to 3.5v, then according to that chart, this is cause for concern.

That's unless you're going off of this info posted later:

3.5 V --- 1.15 V (min) # dangerous, use first table instead

...but you put a disclaimer on that directly saying that it's dangerous and you should use the first table which uses AMD's "example" value. The second table was derived using a value that he seems to have just made an educated guess on. That's far from reassuring in my opinion (including that he doesn't even seem to consider the second table safe).

Basically, I don't think you can safely say this wasn't the cause. There could be some issue with the Expert that makes this vcore/vdimm difference more of a problem. It can't be dismissed from what I've seen.

i used to use a prommie, still have it, it looks at me forlorned in the corner, someday i may just fire up the chemistry experiment again............

and during its day, i personally fried so many MB's and CPU's that i lost count, still have a stack of them for spare parts, NOT ONCE did i blame ANY component when failure happened, heck, i even had a PS blow up so fiercely it blew parts out through the fan, with flames and smoke. many of the boards were DFI's, many the early NF2 2.0 Abits......

and i have noticed the behavior that computerpro3 alluded to, posted fine, worked for awhile, reboot or restart to first page, resetting defaults, then nada........sound familiar?? he is not the first to experience this, and i was using the OCZ ram volt booster in many of these trying to get the BH5 stuffs to insane speeds, err, failures, opps, sounds familiar again......

bottom line, get over it, get some new stuffs, and move on. stuff happens, you play long enough and you will suffer an injury here and there...had a lot of fun along the way, and some wild stories to tell...

quit your whinning..

baldy

The VTT is what gets to the memory controller on the CPU. VTT is derived by taking VDIMM and dividing it in half. Max JEDEC VDIMM is 2.85v so VTT is around 1.425v normally.

Take into account now that AMD's Cool'N'Quiet lowers VCore to 1.1v I believe? (Never used it). So we can say that the theoretical maximum difference between VCore and VTT is around 0.3v.

If the original poster was running 3.5v VDIMM, his VTT would 1.75. Factor in the 0.3v max difference and you get a safe VCore of around 1.45v. He was running 1.53v so this whole low VCore/High VDIMM should not be in question here.

For his 3.1GHz clock, he says he was running such a vCore, but remember, he was running STOCK volts (as quoted by him) when he went upto 3.0GHz. With high voltage on the DIMMs at the same time...

People here just plain can't read; that's all there is to it. I was not at high vdimm with low vcore, which I've said multiple times.

never run my cpu @ 3ghz day to day; I run 3.1ghz. I verified I could hit 3ghz stock voltage when i first was testing the limits of my OC; and to do that I set ram divider at sometihng ridiculously low like 133 and left it stock voltage.

Why would I run 3.5vdimm @ 166mhz ram? I said right there; ram and cpu voltages are both stock.

i used to use a prommie, still have it, it looks at me forlorned in the corner, someday i may just fire up the chemistry experiment again............

and during its day, i personally fried so many MB's and CPU's that i lost count, still have a stack of them for spare parts, NOT ONCE did i blame ANY component when failure happened, heck, i even had a PS blow up so fiercely it blew parts out through the fan, with flames and smoke. many of the boards were DFI's, many the early NF2 2.0 Abits......

and i have noticed the behavior that computerpro3 alluded to, posted fine, worked for awhile, reboot or restart to first page, resetting defaults, then nada........sound familiar?? he is not the first to experience this, and i was using the OCZ ram volt booster in many of these trying to get the BH5 stuffs to insane speeds, err, failures, opps, sounds familiar again......

bottom line, get over it, get some new stuffs, and move on. stuff happens, you play long enough and you will suffer an injury here and there...had a lot of fun along the way, and some wild stories to tell...

quit your whinning..

baldy

Why the hell were you using OCZ booster on a DFI? And btw, those had a problem with the pots on them; I had that direct fron Tony (or Andy, forget). They had me perform a warranty-covered soldering operation on my old one. Thats why your stuff was dying.

I had to make serious edit additions to this post. I did not change a character of the orginal post by computerpro3.

ExRoadie

Alritely then.... now for the opinion of a guy who knows little about about ocing computer (venice 3200s are progressively getting worse clocks these days :() but a fair bit about english since hes still @ skool (yes im makin an idiot out of myself here wit the grammar - but its midnight)

@ computerpro3 or woteva ur called. i think it would be fair to call you a fool rite about now. the number of times u have contradicted or incriminated urself is getting beyond funny and im kinda getting sick of it. to make a long story short - ull help ur case more if you stop posting!

EDIT: computerpro3, please do not confuse your rhetoric for fact. On at least three occasions I and other forum members have pointed to direct lies and contradictions you've made. The facts are there no matter what you say. Please read and understand you own posts.

Quote please? If you can find one instance where I've contradicted myself I'll paypal you $5.

@ anybody on the 'pros' side. okay he mightve had a point @ the start. but now is he here to find a solution or just try to bring down the credibility of DFI because hes that kinda loser? i think that question answers itself - and just for computerpro3 its called a r-h-e-t-o-r-i-c-a-l question!

EDIT: Before reading this part of the post please refer back to computerpro3's original pwnage post over on XS earlier in this thread. I hate liars!

I was originally here to find a solution. When people respodned user error and psu by default, well, I got upset. So now I'm just doing what I feel is right to help the DFI community; pointing out the lack of knowledge around here.

@ the sane peoples side (inc a_g exroadie and rgone...)

i am so sorry u guys are sittin @ ur computers readin this. if he was within arms reach, somebody wouldve at least slapped that 'expert' in the face by now. Dont let him piss u off too much - the rest of us still love u - lol! Just leave him to destroy his own argument and get on with life

EDIT This is a downright lie as pointed out earlier in this thread.

Sane people? AG thought LDT was HTT.....No one understands wtf the diference between overclocking LDT and CPU, etc, etc.

Alritely then.... now for the opinion of a guy who knows little about about ocing computer

At least you admit it; you're one step closer to becoming knowledgeable than many others here.

Martin Cracauer, that very page you linked to says that we should be worried about the differential:

3.5 V --- 1.42 V (min)

If computerpro3 was running at stock voltage with his memory pumped up to 3.5v, then according to that chart, this is cause for concern.

That's unless you're going off of this info posted later:

3.5 V --- 1.15 V (min) # dangerous, use first table instead

...but you put a disclaimer on that directly saying that it's dangerous and you should use the first table which uses AMD's "example" value. The second table was derived using a value that he seems to have just made an educated guess on. That's far from reassuring in my opinion (including that he doesn't even seem to consider the second table safe).

Basically, I don't think you can safely say this wasn't the cause. There could be some issue with the Expert that makes this vcore/vdimm difference more of a problem. It can't be dismissed from what I've seen.

You are correct. In computerpro3's case this could be it.

I was making a general comment, I didn't see computerpro3's post since he made it to my ignore list before I got back to the beginning of the thread :) It is also very likely that his 3.0 GHz stable "on stock volts" are a lie, although you wouldn't know whether he lies about the frequency, the stability or the volts. It is also likely he doesn't know that these boards underreport the voltage in the sensors, so if he sets some random voltage, then sees a voltage that looks like stock (e.g. 1.40 V) and says "p0wnage, I have stock volts", then he actually runs higher (I don't know exactly how much higher on expert). On the ultra-d and sli-dr you even get an extra Vcore bump when busy. So there's some safety margin, too.

Anyway...

In general, I don't think the high-Vdimm versus low Vcore issue can be the explanation why people lose CPUs in the Expert when they did not lose the CPU in earlier boards. If they used the same RAM at the same voltage on the earlier board I don't see how the new board can possibly make a difference here. I also think that BH-5 is probably not the most often used memory on the Expert, the Expert is clearly of a system generation that usually contains 2x 1 GB.

To my knowledge there are no motherboard components between an AMD64's on-die memory controller and the memory. I think the Vdimm->Vtt division happens on-die. Maybe it's on-board and the board can screw it up? I should probably find that out.

You have a point ExRoadie, his reason for coming here does not help his case.

After reading this post (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...07&postcount=33) by jnick and seeing a fair amount of these sudden cpu deaths with the expert board I (and everyone else should) wonder why DFI continues to flat out deny that there may be an issue. And on top of that has not done any tests to either prove or disprove the issue so it can be laid to rest.

EDIT: computerpro3, please do not confuse your rhetoric for fact. On at least three occasions I and other forum members have pointed to direct lies and contradictions you've made. The facts are there no matter what you say. Please read and understand you own posts.

Money, obviously, as well as lazyness (no one's ever going to test).

Anyway I'm done arguing, my new boards here so I'll start working on it and report back sometime in the next few days. I also managed to secure another CABNE locally from PcBoarder so we'll see how that clocks.

Is DFI or newegg faster with RMA?

Money, obviously, as well as lazyness (no one's ever going to test).

Anyway I'm done arguing, my new boards here so I'll start working on it and report back sometime in the next few days. I also managed to secure another CABNE locally from PcBoarder so we'll see how that clocks.

Is DFI or newegg faster with RMA?

newegg is about 2 weeks, depending on how fast you get it to them

A lot of finger pointing and misunderstandings in this thread....people trying to detect something this guy did wrong, obviously running the CPU day in day out at 3.1ghz doesn't seem like a good idea...but when it's all said and done, it doesn't change the fact that his CPU was working fine on a previous board and when it DIED....he said everything was at STOCK since there was a CMOS checksum error...

So unless the expert doesn't load the defaults when a checksum error occurs like all other boards something fishy could have happened...

But again...we'll never know will we?

People here just plain can't read; that's all there is to it. I was not at high vdimm with low vcore, which I've said multiple times.

Why would I run 3.5vdimm @ 166mhz ram? I said right there; ram and cpu voltages are both stock.

You said you dropped down to 166MHz just to find you max HTT for the CPU, once that was found, you then brought your ram up to a clock that it could handle. Or maybe you just left your Redlines @ 3.5v on a really low mem divider....right.

See . . . this is what I'm talking about. . .

It's been FOUR pages - Four pages of which moderators have responded and not ONE even made mention of what I wrote regarding how they could pursue the "issue". When people make useful, intelligent suggestions, only ONE member bothers to reply to them. However, when somebody posts something wrong, or "stupid", there's no problem with 25 members jumping all over him . . . :rolleyes:

All we want, as Expert owners, is to SEE testing being done, or technicians investigating to try and find an issue - even if there isn't any. It makes us customers feel all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing that out board will NOT kill our CPUs because of malfunction, but rather because of our own ignorance. Is this to much to ask?