Sign in to follow this  
MikalCarbine257

Question about Expert and dying CPUs

I am finalizing my build (just got a X2 3800+ and water cooling setup) and I have to choose between my boards to settle with. I would really like to stick with the expert because of its extra options (voltage and what not), but I have seen SO many peoples processors still dying... the expert is a AA0 like many of the others that are killing off CPUs

My question is, would it be worth it to sell my Expert, grab a Ultra-D AD0 and call it a day? I don't know much about why peoples CPU's are dying in the experts, I know all about the high Vdimm and low vcore but I've seen instances where this doesn't apply. Is there a difinitive answer to why these chips are dying? I would be beyond pissed if this thing killed my new X2 3800+.

I also post on a english based overclocking forum with many users running the Expert boards and they seem fine with them.

HanzoRazor I think is correct, where users were running overclocks on low vCore and high vDimm with CH/BH5 and the large voltage difference was killing the on-die memory controller.

SEEN?? That means have witnessed?? Have had visual contact??

but I have seen SO many peoples processors still dying...
If you have 'seen' these happenings then you should be fully aware of the circumstances and have no need of ExRoadie describing anything to you? Right or wrong? Sounds a lot like rumor mongering to me. "They" said but you can never find "they" to question them. They are never around. Just rumors and ghosts when it comes time to really get a description of what happened. Carefully written to presume user innocence which it could be.

Now THEY ain't me. Me is me. I have run 2 Experts and 1 Venus board since the arrival of the Expert on the scene. Soldered on one of them. Changed thru various processors at least 35 to 40 times as I lost count from trying to find the fastest single core and dual core in my possession. Went 3000Mhz thru the required benches to make entry into the overclocking data base with opteron 146. Made tests in 3D benches to put me in the top 10 in most cases for the bleedinedge benchmark group. And to top that off went thru at least 3 rounds of power supply tests with one of the Experts and the Venus board for some power supply manufacturing companies. How many cpu fatalities have I experienced?? NONE. Zip. Nada. Zero. That is the same number as not any. And this ain't THEY, this is me and I just told you how many and what, I did. No cpu casualties.

Yep, things die for sure. But what was the root cause of the death? If I died from lung cancer; what would be my cause of death? The root cause. Yep, ill advised smoking on my part that increased the chance of cancer. The root cause was my actions and not the cancer as the root cause.

So if you like rumors and have paranoia and insecurities of course ebay your Expert board and go where you feel safe. Heck not feeling safe is tough. But do not make yourself another rumor carrier. It does not fit many of you that actually under normal circumstances possess fairly good logic.

RGone...

Can you describe these circumstances? I don't want to duplicate them ;)

I've seen other people claiming their CPU or motherboard (expert) has died, I guess this is from other reasons?

My expert killed my chip. And yes, it was the motherboard, its dead too. Every single link in my system is of the highest quality possible; you can't scream OMG ITS PSU at the 9lb monster in my machine. Chip works great for months, put it in my expert, 2 days later, motherboard and chip die out of nowhere.

Do a search on xtremesystems, the most advanced forum on the net (common knowledge). People know it kills chips there too.

I'd love to see someone prove that the DFI didn't kill my chip :rolleyes:

However, i also have one expert that works great in horrible conditions (my htpc). It runs a FX-60 oc'd to 3.0ghz, 2x 7800gtx 512mbs, 4 Raptor 150's and 4 500gb seagates, and 4GB ocz ram perfectly fine.

It's not secret that certain revisions rock and certain ones kill boards. I have ordered another one to tide me over while I rma it; I hope its a good one.

Why is everybody in denial?

My expert killed my board.
Your expert killed your expert? Umh? I see.

RGone...

My expert killed my chip. And yes, it was the motherboard, its dead too. Every single link in my system is of the highest quality possible; you can't scream OMG ITS PSU at the 9lb monster in my machine. Chip works great for months, put it in my expert, 2 days later, motherboard and chip die out of nowhere.

Do a search on xtremesystems, the most advanced forum on the net (common knowledge). People know it kills chips there too.

I'd love to see someone prove that the DFI didn't kill my chip :rolleyes:

Why is everybody in denial?

Your expert killed your expert? Umh? I see.

RGone...

Well, that was a typo, but it killed itself also. Now here I am to question. On the open forums, for everyone to see. Lay this rumor to rest right now.

Go ahead, shoot, I'll answer. Help me troubleshoot, I'd love not to have to rma. Thanks.

The only dead CPUs from Expert boards were user events due to an extremely rare situation.

Tell that to the people at xtremesystems who have had their chips eaten. The only extremely rare situation is DFI admitting there is a problem. Of course, then did fix it by releasing the Venus, but they still never admitted there was a problem with the expert.

I've been seeing some posts at XS lately about that same issue. Seems like every week or so lately someone has been posting about loosing their cpu upon a power on. It kinda concerns me. I also could have sworn that that there was post by oskar about this issue, and about leaving the system off for at least x amount of seconds before re-powering the system, or the motherboard could supply the cpu with the wrong voltage. I dunno, i just tried to look for that post, but I can't find it. Anyway, since I have an eXpert, and having a oem opty170, it kinda concerns me. So much so that I just purchased a refurbased sapphire board so I play with my new memory withour worrying about rebooting/restarting my pc.

Edit: Found some of oskar's posts, but not the one i was thinking of.

i'd venture to guess that 99.99% of dead cpus were overclocked and the voltages way over spec...correct me if i'm wrong. if u overclock dont blame the board for fried components. the expert allows one to overclock and overvolt many diffrent components WAY over spec. just because u can doesnt mean u should. alittle common sense on the users part is required to avoid a fried cpu. thats my opinion :)