Go Back To Working In A School

bigred

go back to the school  

16 members have voted

1. 1. go back to the school

• yes
    • no
    • hold out for more

Granted I worked 3 years part time and 4 more years full time for a school district... and left cuz I couldn't take the politics vs pay part back then (and I had to do 90% of the departments work cuz my coworkers were LAZY as hell).

but I just got offered a chance to go back to the same district as the network admin (the laziest of them all). a few changes are coming and they opted to get rid of thier current admin... Novell sucks, and they've now realized it nearly 8 years after they started using it. And my old baby Dynix (Library info systems) is moving from a unix based server over to 2000 server. So they need someone that knows NT/2000/2003 to do the job. They're offering to match MS's pay and benifits, I'd be working for the same school distrcit my fiance works for (a bonus I guess), and I'd be working for my old boss again :) I did leave when they demoted her from dept head to the admin of the student management systems and put the superintendant's college roommate (a 4th grade teacher) in charge of the IT department. now with a new superintendant and the old board of ed gone things seem to be changing... had something to do with $10.5 million of money that was supposed to be spent on the IT dept being BLOWN on a new football field. I've demanded my seniority reinstated, my old pention plan reinstated (I could theoretically have retired with full benifits at 47 instead of 53 if they do that). Obviously they would not have to pay 2 people's insurance after the 25th of October so they save some $$$ there too.

Edited by bigred

I feel that you will have a bigger future at MS than a school district. If your state or city is doing bad with economy they might do some cuts, especially in schools. I've seen it here in Cali. Just tell MS you have a job that pays better and you want a raise (even if you are fibbing a little bit)

berkley michigan is not a school distrcit where $$$ is tight. a cheap house there (we're talking 3 bedroom, 1 bath 2 story house here) goes for $180k and they range up over $350k for some of the bigger ones.

besides I don't think telling them MS is giving me another raise will work :( cuz they said they'd match it. and no there's no room to go up at MS unless I suddenly get good at programming. Top end of the pay scale for me at MS is only $70k... $5k more than I get already. Some folks at the school district, like the IT director get over $100k a year.

let me tell you about an average day at MS:

arrive betweeen 7 and 8. bagel, mt dew/pepsi. arrive at my desk, check morning requests. go BACK to the other end of the building to pickup parts for the days work. take cart back to desk (1 hour has passed already). assemble between 4-8 servers on the benches. load windows 2003 server of some for or another. take hour for lunch. return and load test software. go to desk. fill out reports on any install problems (rarely any). fill out reports of damaged hardware (this is for the workstation guys who find it funny to overclock things till they melt/burn... not often in the server group). play on OCC while I WAIT for results. Pack it all up. fill out check list for problems. return parts to lock up and go home. I can sometimes squeeze in a 2 hour nap or something like that cuz there isn't much to do once things get rolling (4 hours to stress test a dual 4.2ghz system is pretty quick, our slowboy the PIII 450 that gets dragged out for somethings takes over 24 to finish the same test). Now try doing that 5 days a week for 8-10 hours a day... it's not my idea of fun.

After reading your life at MS, I do not envy you at all!

IMO... you would be better off back at your school. Here are the pros that I C coming out of that move...

1. If they [the school] approached you for the job, means that they are looking for somebody trustworthy and they definitely need somebody who knows his stuff.

2. It's rare that you hear a school matching such a high pay scale, which probably means that they are in some kind of desperation.

3. Since your pay will not be a problem the next step to look at is the fact that you will be able to climb up the ladder at the school rather than being at MS where you'll probably be doing the same thing in 5 yrs time!

4. Last but not least it seems that you enjoyed working for your old boss, so you will probably enjoy that job more!

That is my 2 cents!

Whatever you decide, I'm wishing you the best.

PS. If you do leave MS let me know and I'll send in my resume directly to your boss, may be I'll slide into your spot :D j/k