Short circuit! What has survived, what hasnt

Yesterday I intended to properly insert my RAM so it could run on dual channel. As always I opened the case and put the OCZs into the "orange" banks, no big deal.

But something must have hapenend cause when I turned on the PC the lights on the Mobo lid up as usual and then half a second later it died. My first guess was a short circuit and so I checked everything and I found one unused plug of the power supply that had suffered a tiny little bit. Nothing realy serious but I believe it might have had touched a sensitive part on the mobo and caused the short-circuit. But I am not sure, there are no real indicators! Nothing realy smelled burned and the plug didnt have any significant burning traces either.

Now do you have any advises? I tried the reset and power button on the mobo but nothing happenes. Well the case-fans still work and some of the lights on the mobo are also on, but it doesnt boot and the CPU fan as well as the Mobo Fan and the graphic-card fan all stay off!

What do you think needs to be replaced`? New mobo? New CPU? or even new RAM?

I wouldnt have a problem to buy a new MOBO but everything else would just be damn anyoing!

No one can say for sure what is damaged and what is not. You need to test each component on another system piece by piece, to weed out the damaged components. (probably not what you wanted to hear - I'm asuming you don't have another system, or you would have done this already.)

Edit: and if you test your psu on another motherboard, i'd measure the voltages to check that they are all okay befor plugging it in - better to be safe then sorry and blow up more stuff ;)

Follow ExRoadies guide for a proper and full CMOS clear and reset. Just to make sure that end of things are covered. Here's the link;

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

If after you perform the CMOS clear and reset, you are presented with the same problems, I'd disconnect your power supply and jump start it seperate from the motherboard switches. You can jump start your psu by following the directions found here;

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=118964

Check your voltage rails using a digital multimeter and make sure that the rails are operating within specification (should be +/- 5% of the rail rating). Do as instructed in this link here;

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=137886

If the PSU checks fine, and the CMOS reset has failed, reconnect the PSU to your motherboard and check the vcore and vdimm voltages. If you don't get voltage at those two points I'd assume that the the motherboard voltage regulators or some other electronics have fried and it's time to replace the m/b.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't immediately suspect that I had fried my cpu or memory, but it's always possible I guess.

Let us know how it goes.