Why GF4 MX4000 so junk?

Tatung

Yeah the GF4 400MX was also my first graphics card and they did stink. Not bad for the time but they really were grossly underpowered. Ive actually taken the passive heatsink off it, Just trying to find a use for it now :P

I soon replaced that card with one of the first 9700Pro's to hit the market. Now that was a good card for its time, Still is if you dont play many games!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the GF4 MX series were based on the GF3 architecture ;)

But anyway :)

Geforce4MX are NV17 chips. (DX7-level, hardware T&L only, none of the DX8 vertex and pixel shaders that the Gef3 series brought in)

Geforce1 = NV10, Geforce2(GTS/Ultra) = NV15, Geforce3 = NV20, Geforce4(Ti) = NV25.

What 'nobody' said was exactly right.

Guest drteming

I have a PCI MX4000 card which had been invaluable to me for testing purposes when I was setting up my rig. It also saved my hide when a bios flash for the 6600GT's went bad.

why would anyone spend 15 bucks on that piece of crap, get any other card and you're good to go. Those cards are known for doind such things.

I have a PCI MX4000 card which had been invaluable to me for testing purposes when I was setting up my rig. It also saved my hide when a bios flash for the 6600GT's went bad.

agreed, it's better than my PCI S3 Savage4 Pro or ATI 3D Rage II+DVD ;)

but gets the job done

I dn man, one of those older gen cards had vertex shaders in hardware.

I'm not sure of which yet.

The gf4mx can beat out afx5200 pretty easy normally.

The fx5200 can apperently blow away a 6600gt on 3dmark01 if it's oc'ed high enough, I have not seen this personally though, but I'll check it out next month if I got time.

I had a gf2mx400 and quadro2mxr.

Both of which did the job, played halo just fine, faster then the gf4ti4600 and quadro4 900xgl in some case, but not on avg.

Those were decent cards.

The gf3's and gf4mx's I really have little experience with.

I do know that the gf4mx's can't handle the pathway through the driver the same as the gf4ti and stuff.

It's not the vertex or pixal shaders though.

Something to do with fog I would assume.

The gf2mx however can handle it, it they shoudl, been along time and I've updated my driver alot...

I have no clue nor does it really matter.

I got one, a 128m pci ver of the 4000.

However my mom is using it, I never messed with it.

I know about the fog thing from experiance on another person's rig.

From what I heard from a diffrent person, my cousin, you can get over 500mhz core easy on them, which is allmost double that of the ti 4600 (getting there anyways).

So it really depends on the crossbar setup compared to the ti, as well as the texture pipelines.

Those old cards sucked big time if you did'nt oc them.

When you did, they rocked for what they were.

That gf2mx/gf4mx blew away even a 9800pro in some things, so I would not call it pure crap.

Still, very old card and all that, probaly no capture, etc.

Who cares :)

I dn man, one of those older gen cards had vertex shaders in hardware.

I'm not sure of which yet.

Neither the Gef4mx nor the Gef2mx had support for hardware pixel or vertex shaders. Gef4mx supported vertex shaders in software though. Gef3, Gef4ti, Rad8500 were the cards that supported the DX8 spec for hardware pixel and vertex shaders. Gef1, 2(all), and 4(mx) are all DX7 generation, only hardware T&L.

My Mx440 rocked... I bought a used one for 20 bucks 270/400 -> 370/520. Needed a 80mm to keep cool. Thing rocks doom 3. Seamless performance in conditon zero. Can rock HL2 and CSS with moderate settings, well untill somebody throws a smoke grenade. With low settings I could score 155fps in css. Now my dad's using the old KV8-pro and MX440. Card goes down with honor in my books. And the 4600ti was a sick card for its day.

I got a BFG MX 4000, maybe that explains my wife's PC's random game crashes. Today I was working on a photoshop project, walked away for like 10 mins and the monitor powered off, (I set it that way) but when I made the screen power back up, it looked like the resolution got changed to something less than 640x480, and it was all stretched out looking, I looked at my display settings and it read 1024x768. I tried changing to 800x600, no change. I had to reboot to fix it, but it was still screwed up when it booted back into windows, I sat there for 1 min. to contemplate my next move, when it fixed itself. First time that ever happened. Oh well, I want to upgrade her rig to NF4 anyways, Her mobo is an Abit NF7-S v2.0

That 640x480x whatever bit is 16 color mode...

That is a nv driver issue.

It's been fixed with the later drivers past 82.12, somewhere in the 83.xx ver's.

At least for the 2 cards I've used recently.

I hated that, if I had any sort of problem, bam that issue came up and I had to reset.

Effected both my quadro 900xgl and my 6600gt.

The 67.22 driver I dont' think I've ran into that issue with, quadro drivers, same with the 83.62 quadro driver.

82.12 forceware, had the prob.

Hmm actually, now that I think about it.

This quadro 900xgl still had the issue on 83.62, oh yeah...

Somethig to do with my rails and cmos corruption.

If both were ok, and stability was ok, I never had gtasa issues(hitches).

Therefor no 16 color mode crap when going back to the desktop.

It's not really 16 colors or 640x480, it's just that the wallpaper is'nt stretched anymore, and if I go into the display cpl, it's locked on 640x480 with 16 color mode.

I can even run gtasa or video or whatever again if I want, but I still reset just for the heck of it.

It's something I could'nt pick up with prime95, superpimod - 32m, or s&m :.

Had to game it.

Still will have to game it after I'm all done setting up some stuff, to recheck I guess.

It's a stability issue and nv driver bug lol.

Maybe mostly nv bug.

Not the card though.

^^

It's a driver issue mostly because I've seen the exact same problem with older beta drivers, and some offiials.

When nv forked over the ogl blitter, so you coudl'nt use page flipping, and when you tried, it would hitch.

Then you'de get the same problem if you managed to get back to the desktop.

Maybe it's been a issue all this time..., darn those nv devs...

Since at least somewhere in the early 5x.xx drivers I think, if I can remember, I dn.

Edit:

Fog effects all cards to this day :.

I think it sucks, you can sorta get rid of that problem if you tweak alot.

Had the isue with old radeons, a 7200.

Never checked newer ones.

A gf2mx400, a quadro2mxr, a gf4 ti 4600, a quadro4 900xgl, a 6600gt :.

Took alot of driver tweaking, bios tweaking probably helps, the nv card's bios I mean.

I dn :.

Fog seems to be #1 for mem breakin on a video card though.