Got offered a job as a computer technician, 16 years old

Currently I work as a bus boy at a local restaurant for $7 an hour. I work only one day a week and make only $200 a month. Recently I was approached with a job offer. A network admin/head honcho from my school disctrict approached me and asked if I'd be interested in working as a computer technician over the summer for $10 an hour. Here's the catch. 30 hour work weeks. At 16 I like to hang out with friends, girls, skateboard, and, of course, game. At this point, I don't know if this would be beneficial or detrimental to my life. I want to get into something related to computers but have no idea what. Would this look good on my resume? (currently working on CISCO certification, that's how I got contacted) Should I take it or just be a kid for as long as possible? I am aware that most people here are older and obviously more experienced. I'd hate to not take this job and be denied a job later on. I don't want my 16 year old ignorance to cloud my decision making.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

money. and on top of that experiance. documented experiance is too important for your future.

in any job. epsecially if its a kind of experiance with computers where your working w/out supervision.

keep in mind that a measly 30 hour work week that wont interfeer with a social life.

ive worked 70 hour weeks before and still had time for weekends.

also keep in mind your gettig a foot in the door for working on a perminate basis

not taking this job doesnt mean u'll get denied later on (probably by the same head honcho but i dunno...just give a good reason ;) )

BUT working as the technician will look good on ur resume....

beside, 30hr/week is not that bad at all... $10 is a good deal. i work at my college as computer lab technician for $11....

Guest Timmay

At 16 you have plenty of energy, and its only 30 hours a week thats plenty of time to hang out with your freinds... Think of the computer you can get :D

Everyone has so far made good points. I appreciate the advice and am now considering taking the job more than ever.

My "best friend" happens to be a programmer making $20 an hour doing projects for his dad. If anything we'll be even! :nod:

Guest Blooz1

I can't believe that you would even be thinking about NOT taking this job!

The experience alone is worth many times what you'll be getting for hourly pay.

yeah man, take the job. You'll be happy you did & you'll have more money then you know what to do with. If you don't like then quit, but give it a chance first. The experience will be worth it & on a resume it will look great. 30 hour weeks will be a breeze. A year ago i was working 100 hour weeks & i usually had at least one or two 24+ hour days (yes working 24 hours in a row...)

Thank goodness i don't work like that anymore...

my 2 cents...

On top of everything that everyone said, you may get the chance to work the next summer too. To have that kind of money going into junor and/or senior years, wow. Plus, You could save some cash for collage and not have to take out all those student loans, that we all regret later in life. Believe everyone, that 30 hrs. is nothing and at least while you are at work you wont be spending, but making cash and good cash even! TAKE THE JOB!!!