Sign in to follow this  
Protostar

Would 8X8 PCI-E hurt my X1900 Crossfire's abilities

Hey Guys,

Right now I am running this lousey A8R32-MVP POS & desperately want to get back to good ol DFI.

The only thing that has kept me with the Asus is that it was dual X16 on the PCI-E slots.

I recently heard I do'nt ned the ATI based chipset to run the 2 cards. they will work on thier own without it.

So.......... if I go back to a DFI that is not dual X16 enabled will it hurt my video....... you know going from 16 down to 8 has to be lanes has to hurt....

Or, does it really matter........ hmmmmmmmmm

I am wanting to get an Opty 170 & go clocking. I know the Asus wont handle it.

opinions please......

thanks Proto

Are you sure about that.....? I remember seeing that, somewhere, that only the lower end X850XT/X850 Crossfire ( which I had ) & the lower end 1000 series ( X1600 ) needed the chipset to work.

I will do more research.......... thanks for your input tho..

OK UncleDavid218,

No need to SHOUT...........!

Plus, I never said I wanted to use an N-Force board u silly person. I said ( pleaes re-read first post ) I wanted to come back to DFI.

I just SAID I HEARD (or read) somewhere on one of the websites that you MAY BE ABLE....... !

Never found any concrete evidence.

Looks as tho you assumed there buddy. Try next time a probing question or two before you go shouting all over the place & assuming things. Makes you look a bit silly.

And yes syar2003, I was thinking of doing the RDX200. Good call on your part.

But I think I'll just stand pat & wait it out till the new DFI ATI 3200 board comes out. Should be soon I would think.

Ebay the A8R32-MVP. n get a bit o cash back.

To answer your question, No. 8x PCI-E wont hurt your 1900s. Might shave some pts off 3dmark, but 16x is overkill for any graphics cards, unless you were to use a dual-core card.

Thanks for the info bud,

Any info on the subject is good to hear. I was interested in the DFI RDX200 but I seem to see lots of issues going on with it.

Or, am I just seeing the negative side here.

Am really looking forward to DFI's Xpress 3200 set up.