twitchee2

Strange RAM OCs

Well I will start with the sys specs:

3700 SD /w SI-120

Ultra-D

2gb OCZ platium 2-3-2-5

And

2x512 patriot 2-3-2-5

When I am OCing the Patriot RAM, I was able to get them to 217mhz. They are not TCCD so I wasnt expecting 260 or anything crazy, but I was thinking they would do a bit more then that. I then switched them out with the OCZ and to my surprise, I achieved the EXACT same OC. I was thinking that something could not be right here. I evenally was able to get the OCZ up to 230mhz on 3-4-3-8 timmings, again I wasnt expecting anything extreme.

Now I took the Patriot RAM to my friends house (3.0north wood a GIgabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro v2.0) , and we were able to get the patriot stable at 227mhz. This rose a flag up that maybe there might be something not right with my board because I just get a reboot whenever they are set above 217mhz. I have tried upping the voltage and still no go.

Is there anything that I can do to possible get the patriot to run at the 227mhz, proven before, on my board? I did not try the OCZ on my friends comp.

First post here. So hi all.

I have owned 6 90nm A64's & S939 Opterons, one thing I have noticed is that the CPU can often be the limiting factor in a memory overclock.

The RAM I have now has Samsung UCCC. I know they are good for about 270Mhz, but with a CAB2E Opteron, I was failing memtest at 233Mhz, whereas other CPU's have been memtest and Prime stable at 260ish.

Try dropping the CPU clock and testing again.

It's also worth noting that unless you are using synthetic benchmarks, higher memory clocks yeild very little real-world performance.

Please fill out your signature per forum rules.

You're like the 8th person I've told that to today.

sorry havent posted here in a while.

look in the overclockers database for your ram and setup, you may be able to find some answers in there.

Ok First thing you have to realise with Overclocking is the only solution is yourself theres no quick fix to anything and even if you do get lucky its not beneficial as you have'nt learnt anything.

Something I have noticed with this forum are their are not really any good memory ocing guides, the sticky in the AMD section is ok at explaining what the settings are and thats about as far as it goes.

This guide is better : http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...499&postcount=1 follow that and be patient and it will reward you.